Bobotie (African meal)....anyone tried it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
A guy I play golf with lived in South Africa and told me about this......he said it is an amazing meal with fabulous flavours.
Easy to google.
It is a mince and onion based recipe with lots of spices. The topping (which sounds weird) is eggs and milk, mixed and poured over.....then oven baked.
I am going to try it but just wondered if others have enjoyed it (or not enjoyed it).

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
It’s lush. Think of lasagne without the pasta sheets. Also think of the size of your average Afrikaner. You will understand after your meal. 87563 kcal per ladle full IIRC.

MikeG

Guru
Afrikaaners do have a habit of exaggerating the quality of their food. They'll whitter on endlessly about how a braai isn't just a barbecue, and will go all dewy-eyed about a poitjie, which is just an over-cooked stew. Tell them that pap (yes, it's really a thing!) is tasteless (it's just polenta) and the sky falls in. Biltong, though........there they may just have a point.

PK99

Legendary Member
Afrikaaners do have a habit of exaggerating the quality of their food. They'll whitter on endlessly about how a braai isn't just a barbecue, and will go all dewy-eyed about a poitjie, which is just an over-cooked stew. Tell them that pap (yes, it's really a thing!) is tasteless (it's just polenta) and the sky falls in. Biltong, though........there they may just have a point.

A Braai starts from burning wood down to coals not charcoal and is communal cooking over hours preferably with lots of cold Castle while you cook.

Pap/Sadza is made with white corn not yellow/polenta - and remember polenta is tasteless without sauce just as mash potato is tasteless without lashings of butter or gravy, Pap/Sadza needs a beef stew poured over or to dip balls of sadza into.

Julia9054

Guru
Friend of mine when we were in Bulawayo made his own biltong and gave us some. We made a stew out of it.
I have never had food poisoning like it. Literally thought I was dying.

Julia9054

Guru
Also mopane worms. You can buy them dried in the supermarket. You are supposed to boil them for ages (which makes the house smell like a 3 day old fart) then fry them and serve with loads of salt and pepper.
They are vile.
I once got all inventive and tried cooking them in a French style cream and white wine sauce.
Still vile.

MikeG

Guru
A Braai starts from burning wood down to coals not charcoal and is communal cooking over hours preferably with lots of cold Castle while you cook.

Pap/Sadza is made with white corn not yellow/polenta - and remember polenta is tasteless without sauce just as mash potato is tasteless without lashings of butter or gravy, Pap/Sadza needs a beef stew poured over or to dip balls of sadza into.

See what I mean. You make my point for me beautifully!! :smile:

Julia9054

Guru
My husband got taken to Bulawayo City football club by the same friend that poisoned us with biltong.
We hadn't been over there long and, as they tucked into sadza and stew, Al asked what was in the stew.
Our friend thought about it, trying to come up with a suitable translation.
"Tubes", he said!
Still no bloody idea!

I like a BBQ as much as the next person and braai is no different.

Mealie pap is nasty

I never heard of anyone cooking mopane worms; IME they're usually dried and eaten as a snack just like that

I love biltong and droëwors and bobotie is a nice change from musaka or shepherds' pie

Top Bottom