Bobotie (African meal)....anyone tried it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
As others have said, it's reminiscent of bechamel (lasagna) sauce. I think it would be very like a lasagne, moussaka or a shepherd's/cottage pie.

How did you get on with the coffee syrups? :whistle:
Very well thanks. Recieved 5 variety miniture bottles and have used 50%. TBH I prefer just straight coffee but every nowandagain it gives options.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Doh! Of course! It's a crustless quiche.

Not quite, that's just the texture of the egg mix on top of the curried mince mix and tatties.

PK99

Legendary Member
My husband got taken to Bulawayo City football club by the same friend that poisoned us with biltong.
We hadn't been over there long and, as they tucked into sadza and stew, Al asked what was in the stew.
Our friend thought about it, trying to come up with a suitable translation.
"Tubes", he said!
Still no bloody idea!

Tripe/intestine

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I shared a house with some Ghanaians once and they offered to cook a traditional meal on the Sunday. They started on the Thursday by putting scrag ends and offal into a pot with water and spices. The smell instantly filled the house - it wasn't nice. As the days progressed yams, plantain and beans - lots of beans - went in and the aromas unfortunately increased. On Saturday the cooking stopped to "let the flavours intensify". We also got the doors and windows open and aired the house a bit. Sunday morning the cooking started again and they were right, the smell had intensified which, together with an atmosphere that was 20% chilli powder made every breath painful but finally the meal was served up; basically a very rich, spicy African stew. It was awful. Gobbets of gristle and lumps of bone in an intense, gruesomely flavoursome "sauce".

However - there was also a rice side dish which was slow cooked with tomatos and it was gorgeous - Jillofi rice. Highly recommended.

Not the stew though.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
My husband got taken to Bulawayo City football club by the same friend that poisoned us with biltong.
We hadn't been over there long and, as they tucked into sadza and stew, Al asked what was in the stew.
Our friend thought about it, trying to come up with a suitable translation.
"Tubes", he said!
Still no bloody idea!

Tubes? I’ll put your mind at rest after all these years: ‘Matumbo’ (Shona) I don’t know the Ndebele word spoken in Bulawayo.

Or in English: Small intestines. This is an indigenous African dish rather than Afrikaans one. I like them. ‘Guru’ is the Shona for tripe. I don’t like tripe much.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
[QUOTE 5176119, member: 259"]We've been fed "pens" (tripe - same as the Dutch word) by Afrikaner friends. Very nice it was too![/QUOTE]

I have only eaten it in the indigenous style so I couldn’t say if I would like tripe done like that, although I would try.

I did some wildlife volunteering with a Yorkshireman who loved the stuff. Apparently the ‘better parts’ of the animal are more commonly eaten up north. Shame it’s not common down here. I cook pigs ears which are lovely. Cook in an aromatic stock for an age then roast till crispy with or without a glaze. Lovely dipped in tartare sauce. The butcher gives them to me for free.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Miss Goodbody has offered me a quiche , and the opportunity to dip my sadza balls later on.

Top Bottom