Body Fat Percentage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kewb

Rob3rt said:
Well id assume fat index is a percentage of your fat to body mass i.e. Body Fat Percentage = (fat mass/body mass)x100, and fat mass is an absolute number.

So if you weigh about 10 stone with a 20% body fat perentage (index) then I'd assume you are carrying about 2 stone of fat yes.

I am assuming definitions here based on general unit manipulation, I am an electronic engineer not a biologist or sports scientist, so I may be wrong. But it sounds quite logical to me.

Last time I tried to measure my own body fat percentage was over 4 years ago, It was using a device given away with tokens form special k cereal, it gave me a % of about 16% I seem to recal. I have no idea if this is accurate, Im 6'2" and weight about 13 stone 6 pounds, 1st thing in the morning. With a 34" waist. Wii fit flags me as overweight (based in BMI) if my weight goes up a couple of pounds through the day and eating etc. Which is absurd, based on my appearence, if I lost the amount of weight it says I shoud to be ideal I'd look ill! I am not ripped at all, but im pretty "skinny". I totally disregard BMI.

thanks rob,
im 5,11 and weight is currently 12stone (acording to machine in chemists )
wii fit has me in ideal range bmi wise, machine had me marked at 24.7 which is according to it just within normal (top end being 24.9 ) .
christmas excess few big rides and i,ll be like posh spice :biggrin:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Worked that out and according to your body weight and fat mass values from the machine, then it comes up as like 20.2%.

The machine will have worked out the body fat percentage(using an electrical signal) then applied that scaling factor to your body weight to give the fat mass figure you have id imagine. So like 168 pounds x 0.21 = 35 pounds. Which is about 2 stone 7 pounds, some rounding error included. So it does closely match your values. Doesnt mean the estimate of body fat is correct, just means my guess at how the units worked wasnt far off, unless its a coincidence, hehe

I have no idea how well these electrical body fat things work, probly wont care to find out until I get to 13 stone.

jimboalee

kewb said:
thanks rob,
im 5,11 and weight is currently 12stone (acording to machine in chemists )
wii fit has me in ideal range bmi wise, machine had me marked at 24.7 which is according to it just within normal (top end being 24.9 ) .
christmas excess few big rides and i,ll be like posh spice :biggrin:

Hey kewb.

Wii fit has me as obese with a BodyFat % of 18.:sad:

It can't see my legs,,,:hugs:

For a cyclist, the ratio of thigh and waist is the telling measurement. A la Sir Chris.:biggrin:

If thigh/waist > 0.75, your doing fine.

kewb

jimboalee said:
Hey kewb.

Wii fit has me as obese with a BodyFat % of 18.:thumbsup:

It can't see my legs
,,,:tongue:

For a cyclist, the ratio of thigh and waist is the telling measurement. A la Sir Chris.:biggrin:

If thigh/waist > 0.75, your doing fine.

its a strange machine the wii fit ,handy, but confusing at times ,
this is the machine i got my measurements of fat mass etc from
http://keito.com/productos-keito.php?idioma=1&model=k6
one of those grab two metal handles walk the green mile :smile: (honestley you dont feel a thing but theres warnings for people with pacemakers or pregnant etc )
i will measure again in 4 weeks to see the difference if any .

jimboalee

kewb said:
its a strange machine the wii fit ,handy, but confusing at times ,
this is the machine i got my measurements of fat mass etc from
http://keito.com/productos-keito.php?idioma=1&model=k6
one of those grab two metal handles walk the green mile :o) (honestley you dont feel a thing but theres warnings for people with pacemakers or pregnant etc )
i will measure again in 4 weeks to see the difference if any .

The current goes up one arm and down the other, as opposed to up and down the legs with the bathroom scales versions.

I don't know how repeatable the arm bioimpedance method is.
The leg bioimpedence scales I have are wild dependent upon hydration levels, prob due to the current passing through the lower abdomen.

normgow

Guru
Stand naked in front of a full length mirror.
Tense yourself then jump up and down.
If anything moves which shouldn't move, then you've got some fat to lose.

kewb

normgow said:
Stand naked in front of a full length mirror.
Tense yourself then jump up and down.
If anything moves which shouldn't move, then you've got some fat to lose.

omg i dont want to lose that :stop:

kewb

jimboalee said:
The current goes up one arm and down the other, as opposed to up and down the legs with the bathroom scales versions.

I don't know how repeatable the arm bioimpedance method is.
The leg bioimpedence scales I have are wild dependent upon hydration levels, prob due to the current passing through the lower abdomen.

are these the sort of scales ,
http://www.scalesexpress.com/product.php?productid=16831&cat=259
might get a set of those never realised such a thing was in the shops .

Top Bottom