Body Fat Percentage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fido

Veteran
Loosely speaking between 10-20% is considered normal. This range does shift upwards as you get older though.

jimboalee

Ah Banjo.

It took me weeks to collate some data.

There is 'advised Bodyfat % for age' and 'advised Bodyfat % for sporting activity'.

There is also 'body type', ie Ecto, Meso and Endos; and Body Frame size.

In the end, it's a very personal thing.

For instance, my research found 6 levels of 'Athleticism':wacko:
OK, Exellent, A1, 2xA1, Trim and Lean.

Unfortunately, 'Pro Cyclist' came lower than Lean.

Each has a curve for the subject's age.

And then again, it depends whether it was a North American organisation or a European organisation. Americans are allowed to be fatter.

And of course girls are different to men.

I'm not gong to give you any figure you should be, except to say "The fold of skin at the side of your belly should be less than half an inch".

Garz

Squat Member
5-15% for cyclists, however this is too broad a statement and I assume means non casual. There is no perfect % and age/gender make a difference. I would assume 15-20% would be fine for normal healthy people.

Garz

Squat Member
jimboalee said:
I'm not gong to give you any figure you should be, except to say "The fold of skin at the side of your belly should be less than half an inch".

What about people that have higher than normal 'elasticity' skin levels jimbo? ;)

jimboalee

Why don't you strip off, stand infront of the mirror, grab the skinfolds around your belly and give them a waggle.

If you don't like what you see, it's time to do something about it.

jimboalee

potsy said:

A BMI calculator does not give fat % figures.

For cyclists, BMI calculator are best forgotten and skinfold calipers purchased.

Crankarm

Guru
If you can pinch more than an inch around your waist then you are a ..........................fat b4stard.

As a physiotherapist once remarked, road cyclists are just lungs and a skellington.

Some people have so much fat that even a pork scratching is considered lean ;).

10-12% would be good going for an amateur cyclist. You don't want to go too low as where are you going to get your reserves of energy from on long cold rides?

Fiona N

Veteran
Joe Beer, writing in, I think, Cycling+, had a really good article about BMI, body fat%, body type (endomorph, ectomorph etc.) and sex (since women have more fat than men generally and need a higher body fat % to remain healthy). It might be worth searching for if you're interested in this as so far nothing I've seen this thread has been exactly illuminating :laugh:

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
At the moment I am on 20% which apparently is at the high end of the OK bracket this is confirmed by pincing a good inch in one or two places so I guess I have a bit more work to do.Having shed nearly 4 stone of lard in 9 months its great to be nearly there but the last few pounds definitely take more shifting.

Thanks for all the replies.

Top Bottom