Bombproof Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twitchboy

Regular
Sick of having to get my singlespeeds wheels trued every couple of months. Yes, they are cheap and I do ride quite roughly etc which means that there is more impact than cheap wheels/spokes should realistically be able to withstand.

Are there any reasonable priced wheels out there known for being able to withstand a lot of impact without having the spokes routinely turn into rattling wires?

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Sick of having to get my singlespeeds wheels trued every couple of months. Yes, they are cheap and I do ride quite roughly etc which means that there is more impact than cheap wheels/spokes should realistically be able to withstand.

Are there any reasonable priced wheels out there known for being able to withstand a lot of impact without having the spokes routinely turn into rattling wires?

What wheels re you riding ( how many spokes) and how heavy are you?

You should be able to ride a good set of wheels hard but if you tend to ride at some speed over potholes you should expect that sooner or later you will damage the wheels. Now, if you mean, hard sprinting and hard braking, by hard riding then that is reasonable usage and your wheels should be able to cope without any problems.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
The problem with cheap factory wheels is that they use cheap components and they build them with low tension so when you ride them hard the spokes go loose.

A good pair of wheels will go a long way to solve your problem I think. You don't have to spend too much money but it will be quite a lot if you consider the bike is only worth just over two £200. Go handbuilt if you can.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
get some hand built by Spa Cycles or any wheel builder these friendly forum types recommend. Mine are still as solid now as they were two years ago when purchased... the only downside of Spa Cycles is one of the guys will try to tell you what he thinks you want rather than what you think you want, and can get a tad shirty if you don't take his advice... but they do build a cracking wheel :smile:

OP
OP
T

twitchboy

Regular
A good pair of wheels will go a long way to solve your problem I think. You don't have to spend too much money but it will be quite a lot if you consider the bike is only worth just over two £200. Go handbuilt if you can.

Yes but I haven't got a clue how to identify a good pair of wheels. The bike only cost just over £200 but I'd pay the same again to have a good set of wheels on it that are much more robust. I actually really love the frame of the bike. It's a perfect fit for me, it's light and great for zipping around town. It's just that the wheels are pants. I might just look into Spa Cycles. I've dealt with them before and found them helpful.

OP
OP
T

twitchboy

Regular
I've had Mavic Aksium on my SingleSpeed for a few years, they're apparently universally agreed to be bombproof and can't be picked up for chuff all second hand.

Which Mavics do you have?

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Yes but I haven't got a clue how to identify a good pair of wheels. The bike only cost just over £200 but I'd pay the same again to have a good set of wheels on it that are much more robust. I actually really love the frame of the bike. It's a perfect fit for me, it's light and great for zipping around town. It's just that the wheels are pants. I might just look into Spa Cycles. I've dealt with them before and found them helpful.

I'm not crazy about building wheels for people that have been members for 5 minutes but it seems you've already been a member for at least 10 :smile: send me a PM if you like.

I've had Mavic Aksium on my SingleSpeed for a few years, they're apparently universally agreed to be bombproof and can't be picked up for chuff all second hand.

A couple of points, the OP has 26" wheels.

You can't be serious about the Aksium being bombproof, right? I once had a set and I have been asked to repair another two sets. They are far from being bombproof.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'm not crazy about building wheels for people that have been members for 5 minutes but it seems you've already been a member for at least 10 :smile: send me a PM if you like.

A couple of points, the OP has 26" wheels.

You can't be serious about the Aksium being bombproof, right? I once had a set and I have been asked to repair another two sets. They are far from being bombproof.

I may have to start appending all my posts with a statement about subjectivity :smile:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s200p0

What exactly makes the most expensive one better than the least expensive? Is it the hub? The amount or quality of the spokes?
they can built with an inexpensive rim and an inexpensive hub, or if you prefer, build with expensive rims and expensive hubs, resulting in a more expensive wheel.

All i wanted was black rims with a bit of a tear drop profile and black hubs. They were replacing a pair of nigh on 20 year old Rigida rims, and impressed with the longevity of said rims, I got the cheapest Rigida rims that I liked the look of and a cheap black hub to match. Total cost, £160 for the pair. I think the cost of two rims and two hubs and a big handful of spokes came to about £130, so the build itself isn't expensive at all... but when it comes to a wheel, I reckon the quality of build is more important than the parts.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I may have to start appending all my posts with a statement about subjectivity :smile:

I agree :laugh:

Aksium wheels are an interesting marketing case that appeals to many people, they come with tyres and tubes already mounted at an affordable price and they don't look too bad. They aren't designed for commuting or hard riding, in fact, I wouldn't classify any 20 spokes rear wheel in the bombproof category.

Top Bottom