"Bon Jour je suis anglais"...erm...what next?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

If the French person is speaking too quickly for you to understand, try "Parlez plus lentement s'il vous plait" - speak more slowly please.

Oh, and a large beer is "un serieux" - literally a "serious beer". I like that.

Arch

Married to Night Train
User482 said:
If the French person is speaking too quickly for you to understand, try "Parlez plus lentement s'il vous plait" - speak more slowly please.

And draught is 'pression', bottled 'bouteille' (said more like 'bootay' with the merest hint of l at the end)

Also, coffee. un cafe will often get you a small black coffee, expresso style. For a larger cup of white coffee, you could ask for cafe au lait, but my friends tell me that is a bit old fashioned, and it's better to ask for un cafe creme (cafay crem), preferably 'un grand cafe creme' Hot chocolate is 'chocolat chaud' (shocola show) Tea is The (tay) but be prepared for a cup of hot water and a bag, it's often better to go native and have coffee..:wacko:

dragon72

Guru
Also, it's more economical to buy wine (or cider if you're in Brittany or Normandy), and dare I say it you'll get an authentic local tipple, by the carafe (le pichet - pronounced "pee-shay") rather than by the bottle.
They usually come in 25cl, 50cl or 1l.
eg
-Un pichet de vin rouge, s'il vous plaît.
-Un demi? (a half litre?)
-Non merci, un litre, s'il vous plaît. Je suis anglais.

U

User169

User482 said:

Even larger is "une formidable" :ohmy:

Top Bottom