Bont Riot Heat Molding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
hj all,

Bought some of these, using same size as my existing shoes.

The are extremely difficult to get my feet in, wig toes squashed.

Question:

Does the heat molding process relax the fit at all?

S-Express

If you bought the wrong size, then no amount of moulding will help. But if the fit is ok to start with, then it will be improved with moulding - can only suggest giving it a try.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Send them back - I had to go up 2 sizes with my bont's. If you heat mould them then you probably could not send them back.

Adam4868

Guru
I've had a couple of pair of bonts and they fit me as they came,did try on my older ones just to give it a go,but never managed it.Had them in oven a while but no joy.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Send them back - I had to go up 2 sizes with my bont's. If you heat mould them then you probably could not send them back.

Yeah maybe, I just wondered if the heat molding let the shoe stretch a bit where it's needed - there's no description of how they should feel before the heat moulding.

I have short wide feet - no shoe fits well out of the box, which is why I wanted to try these, but they are surprising tight.

And you're right, you can't send them back after moulding.

zizou

Veteran
Did you follow bonts instructions for measuring your foot? Tracing around then measuring length and width was pretty accurate for me (although i dont think they do a wide fit version of the riots)

reacher

Not in my experience I tried heating them several times and to be honest they pretty much went back to where they were before I heated them up almost like when hot they relax a bit then cool back to the same as before, personally I think it's marketing hype, it definately feels like they are changing shape when hot but for me they just cooled to exactly where they were before , plus I rode in them and I thought it was like having my feet encased in solid steel shoes most uncomfortable shoe I'v ever tried. Same, you can't tell if they have been heated or not although the people who sell them may be able to, possible they may have built in something to show if they have been heated I do know if you have a problem heating them it's a zero return policy

Last edited:

S-Express

Not in my experience I tried heating them several times and to be honest they pretty much went back to where they were before I heated them up almost like when hot they relax a bit then cool back to the same as before,

Did you follow the instructions? Moulded mine twice and the fit is perfect. The target temperature is critical, as is wearing them while they cool. They will not revert back to their original form once moulded as there is no 'memory' in the carbon.
plus I rode in them and I thought it was like having my feet encased in solid steel shoes most uncomfortable shoe I'v ever tried.

Conversely, I've had mine for four years now and they remain the most comfortable cycling shoes I've ever worn.

Adam4868

Guru
Likewise,as I said before maybe I'm lucky as fit as they come.Actually comfy aswell ! But as for heat moulding didn't change the shoe at all

S-Express

Likewise,as I said before maybe I'm lucky as fit as they come.Actually comfy aswell ! But as for heat moulding didn't change the shoe at all

Well, if the shoes were already comfortable out of the box (ie the right size and right shape), then the moulding process is unlikely to change anything. Mine were the right size, but felt like planks of wood until I moulded them.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru

Did you follow bonts instructions for measuring your foot? Tracing around then measuring length and width was pretty accurate for me (although i dont think they do a wide fit version of the riots)

How bizarre - Bont do not use standard sizing.

I've checked their tool against standard measurements, and it recommends sizes 1.5 larger than standard sizing for the same measurements.

EDIT

I ran the same numbers again and it recommended half a size smaller than the ones that don't fit.

Hmm.

Time to send them back and get cheap DHB. They don't fit well, but they do fit.

Last edited:

reacher

Yep followed instructions, several times i heated them tried a number of ways to get them to fit better, many people are happy with them I can only give my experiance of them and I thought they were all hype, others may well be very pleased with them. My problem with them is they market them as being heat mouldable to fit any foot, even though they won't fit when you buy them, well try sending them back after you have realised you can't get them to mould to your foot, like I said zero returns policy and after sales service is also a point blank no refunds or returns from them once you have heated them up.

Top Bottom