Book..."Discovery Road"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I have Discovery Road by Andy Brown and Tim Garratt for anyone that wants it (Got it from Panter - many thanks). Not a bad read, trundles along at a good pace, but perhaps lacking in depth - still better than many cycling books I have read.

Just reply to this thread, and I will pick a name (assuming there are any takers) at random tomorrow lunchtime.

Andrew

Milo

Guru
Im in.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
cisamcgu said:
I have Discovery Road by Andy Brown and Tim Garratt for anyone that wants it (Got it from Panter - many thanks). Not a bad read, trundles along at a good pace, but perhaps lacking in depth - still better than many cycling books I have read.

Just reply to this thread, and I will pick a name (assuming there are any takers) at random tomorrow lunchtime.

Andrew

Ermm - What's it about?

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
And the winner is ....... punkypossum !

If you still want it, just PM me an address, and I will stick it in the post tomorrow.

Thanks
Andrew

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
So they cycle to Sydney harbour, and get on a ferry to Peru. And the Pacific is lacking in depth? Is that to do with global warming? :biggrin:

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
;)

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Dayvo said:
In a nutshell; two blokes cycle from Sydney to somewhere on the west coast of South America (obviously they have other means of transport for the wet bits!) It's a good read, quite inspirational.

Thanks Dayvo :biggrin:. Hadn't heard of it. I'll leave the title lying around in a month or so when my birthday is due. Somebody might take the hint :biggrin:

twentysix by twentyfive said:
Thanks Dayvo :biggrin:. Hadn't heard of it. I'll leave the title lying around in a month or so when my birthday is due. Somebody might take the hint :biggrin:

It's a very good read! West across Australia (boat trip to eastern Africa) across to the west coast (another boat trip) then west across South America.
If long-distance cycling is your thing, this'll get the juices flowing.
I had it, but passed it on here a few months back.

Read the reviews on amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Discovery-Road-T-Garratt/dp/0953057534

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Well I quite like to read accounts of adventurous folks, as being a wimp, I don't get out much.

I read a couple of the Crane Brothers' escapades on bikes Kilimajaro on MTB's and Centre of the earth thing That latter one was get as far as possible from any ocean - so China/Mongolia - in the 70's or 80's? Nick Crane did that "Coast" TV programme for a while and he's done some "ancient maps" TV series too. He always walks with a brolly at the ready - just like me :biggrin:

I've read some of the older Everest accounts too.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dayvo said:
It's a very good read! West across Australia (boat trip to eastern Africa) across to the west coast (another boat trip) then west across South America.
If long-distance cycling is your thing, this'll get the juices flowing.
I had it, but passed it on here a few months back.

Read the reviews on amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Discovery-Road-T-Garratt/dp/0953057534

Agree, very enjoyable read, gave me a thirst to venture beyond Banbury...:biggrin:

twentysix by twentyfive said:
Well I quite like to read accounts of adventurous folks, as being a wimp, I don't get out much.

I read a couple of the Crane Brothers' escapades ...
You might enjoy "Two Degrees West" by Nick Crane, about him walking along a one kilometre corridor either side of the two degree meridien, all the way down the middle of England.
I've read some of the older Everest accounts too.
Try Fergus Fleming's books too. Killing Dragons is a fascinating read, all about the early Alpine explorers.
I'd pass them on to you, but I've lent them both to my dad in Bahrain.:wacko:

Top Bottom