Book recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjd1988

Guru
Feel the need to actually read something about training. It's an odd urge to have after riding for a few years but sure.

Just wondering if anyone has any book recommendations? I vaguely remember people talkin about Joe friel books and the time crunched cyclist and the midlife cyclist.

I do most of my riding indoors so have access to power but am not super disciplined but try to get in 2-3 short rides a week at best.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I’ve read time crunched. It’s good but not exactly best practice! If you’re looking for something sustainable and repeatable then time crunched isn’t it.

If you want improvements to come quick but also fade quick then time crunched will do it 👍

It includes plans which are quite good - I built a set of custom workouts of Zwift off the back of some of the workouts in the book 🙂

OP
OP
mjd1988

mjd1988

Guru
I’ve read time crunched. It’s good but not exactly best practice! If you’re looking for something sustainable and repeatable then time crunched isn’t it.

If you want improvements to come quick but also fade quick then time crunched will do it 👍

It includes plans which are quite good - I built a set of custom workouts of Zwift off the back of some of the workouts in the book 🙂

It's shocking I don't know this but can you access other people's custom workouts or are they specific to each person's account?

I think I've averaged 0.5 completed workouts a year to date on zwift so unlikely I'll suddenly become a convert but you never know!

CXRAndy

Guru
Feel the need to actually read something about training. It's an odd urge to have after riding for a few years but sure.

Just wondering if anyone has any book recommendations? I vaguely remember people talkin about Joe friel books and the time crunched cyclist and the midlife cyclist.

I do most of my riding indoors so have access to power but am not super disciplined but try to get in 2-3 short rides a week at best.

Depends what your end goals are Michael?

If it's to get faster over an hours race or a more complete rider for big sportives etc.

It's seems accepted that polarization training is best. If time is limited, then intervals will reap the best bang for your time. Training platforms like trainer road or sufferfest(now Wahoo) . You have a monster sprint already, so what so called weakness do you think you possess?

Last edited:
OP
OP
mjd1988

mjd1988

Guru
Depends what your end goals are Michael?

If it's to get faster over an hours race or a more complete rider for big sportives etc.

It's seems accepted that polarization training is best. If time is limited, then intervals will reap the best bang for your time. Training platforms like trainer road or sufferfest(now Wahoo) . You have a monster sprint already, so what so called weakness do you think you possess?

Cheers Andy. I would love to improve my 20min (and beyond) power a little more - I can do that but it's always at the expense or shorter term power. Suppose I want to make sure I'm not just doing junk miles he entire time by doing races. Ultimately I enjoy races so I'll likely keep doing it but fancy at least reading a bit of theory

CXRAndy

Guru
Cheers Andy. I would love to improve my 20min (and beyond) power a little more - I can do that but it's always at the expense or shorter term power. Suppose I want to make sure I'm not just doing junk miles he entire time by doing races. Ultimately I enjoy races so I'll likely keep doing it but fancy at least reading a bit of theory

Longer term power comes from a fair bit of Z1/2 endurance riding. But that does take several hour rides per week.

Intervals around 10-15 mins with 5-10 mins rest between slightly below 20min power and slightly above that threshold. Also 3-5min intervals 130-150% above all help push up longer period power.

Joe Friel book is an excellent resource to understand the finer theory. I have a copy.

We all respond differently to different exercise stimulus. Some from short burst efforts and other long rides. And both seems best overall for most riders

Milzy

Guru
“God is dead”

Frank Vandenbrouke had a more colourful & crazy life than Lance Armstrong & Marco Pantani. For some reason he’s not talked about as much. Nobody else has ever been able to burn the candle at both ends for so long. He was one classy rider who died in a crappy hotel in Senegal with a prostitute in the end. If he bothered to train & rest properly without the recreational drugs & partying on top of the PED’s they all used he would have been an even bigger legend with far more race starts & victory’s to his name.

YellowV2

Veteran
Longer term power comes from a fair bit of Z1/2 endurance riding. But that does take several hour rides per week.

Intervals around 10-15 mins with 5-10 mins rest between slightly below 20min power and slightly above that threshold. Also 3-5min intervals 130-150% above all help push up longer period power.

Joe Friel book is an excellent resource to understand the finer theory. I have a copy.

We all respond differently to different exercise stimulus. Some from short burst efforts and other long rides. And both seems best overall for most riders

Which of Joe Friel's books in particular?

Trull

Über Member
Sorry to wake this thread up after nearly two years, but does the Traiing Bible include strength exercises and give some good core and upper body advice? I'm after a book that can guide alongside some flexibility too. Would that fit the bill please?

Top Bottom