Booking bikes on trains via Virgin East Coast website no longer possible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Southern Rail website used to let you book bike tickets. They also revamped their system about a year ago and removed it, and also made booking a train ticket more complicated.

When I complained, I just got pathetic woffle from them.

Sadly, I think the likes of ScotRail, TransPennine and Hull Trains will probably also switch to the other booking engine at some point. Especially if the franchise changes.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Sadly, I think the likes of ScotRail, TransPennine and Hull Trains will probably also switch to the other booking engine at some point. Especially if the franchise changes.
Inevitable, I fear. I can understand a company, like Southern, that doesn't do bike reservation binning the functionality but not the long distance carriers.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You're absolutely right - I've just done a trial booking and there is no longer any way to book a bike through it, just some weasel words in the FAQ about calling their customer centre or going to a station. The b*stards.
I'm sure Richard will be disappointed to hear you're not going to help him rebuild his tropical paradise/tax haven.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Chiltern Railways are another that still allow to you to make bike reservations online, and still have the mixing desk to search for the cheapest fares.

It won't last, will it? :sad:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have found that the GWR site allows you to book a bicycle on, if the train on that portion of your journey allows for bike space bookings: on any line, not just Great Western ones. I have just tried this to get a ticket with a reserved seat and a bike space on the the East Coast mainline (KCX to EDI) and worked fine (£55 for a daytime ticket next Thursday).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just tried reserving bike places for my next trip using the Hull Trains website. I am being given an ambiguous and unhelpful message that leaves me wondering whether to proceed. I THINK that it is telling me that some of the trains both ways do not allow reservations, but reading it differently makes me wonder whether the Virgin train bike places are all booked up. I can 'proceed without bike reservations' if I like (which I don't like!) so I think that I will walk down to our local station tomorrow and get the staff there to sort it out for me.

I just tried reserving bike places for my next trip using the Hull Trains website. I am being given an ambiguous and unhelpful message that leaves me wondering whether to proceed. I THINK that it is telling me that some of the trains both ways do not allow reservations, but reading it differently makes me wonder whether the Virgin train bike places are all booked up. I can 'proceed without bike reservations' if I like (which I don't like!) so I think that I will walk down to our local station tomorrow and get the staff there to sort it out for me.
Which trains and which franchise. They all have different cycle policies, so perhaps you don't need a reservation. You also can't book a reservation without a seat reservation.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Just booked some tickets on Cross Country. I didn't need to reserve a bike space but noted that they don't allow you to make a bike reservation with your booking, but advise you to email or tweet them with your reservation number after you've made your booking.

Which is all well and good, but if you buy an Advance ticket they're not refundable - so, if the three bike spaces are already taken you're up the creek.

ColinJ

Which trains and which franchise. They all have different cycle policies, so perhaps you don't need a reservation. You also can't book a reservation without a seat reservation.
It is the Virgin Trains parts of the journeys that I need the reservations for. I normally book early and get cheap tickets so the mainline trains get booked separately. I left it too late this time so it is cheaper to buy an offpeak return for the whole journey, including the local trains at either end (which don't need/allow reservations).

I think that the Virgin bike reservations are being made but the wording of the message left enough room for doubt to make me reluctant to proceed. I don't want to buy the ticket and then find that I do NOT have a bike reservation after all!

ColinJ

Just booked some tickets on Cross Country. I didn't need to reserve a bike space but noted that they don't allow you to make a bike reservation with your booking, but advise you to email or tweet them with your reservation number after you've made your booking.

Which is all well and good, but if you buy an Advance ticket they're not refundable - so, if the three bike spaces are already taken you're up the creek.
I went through that process recently, which is what led to TMN recommending Hull Trains. I didn't have a problem making reservations that way.

The problem I am posting about above is probably caused by trying to book a journey which is on a mix of trains, some with reservations, some without.

edit - just seen your last post! yes I think this is the issue.
It wasn't a trip involving main line and local trains was it?
If so it will most likely tell you that local train bike bookings cannot be made. As essentially, with Northern, you don't need them. You do of course need a booking for the main line bit. They just have a cack handed way of telling you this. Similarly, while, on a cheapo ticket, the time of the train you can use on the mainline bit will be specified, in practice it is my understanding that the local bit of the trip will not be time specified. On the booking that bit will usually just be a suggestion so that you make the connection. If heading from northern parts back to London I often take an earlier local train to avoid problems caused by delays.

However, such is the mess of the system now, if your local station is handy and helpful (my Lancashire one is) you may be best just doing a quick check online and then peddling down to the station to get the bits of paper in your hand - not handing over any cash until they have waved printed train ticket AND bike booking in front of you.

ah, progress :smile:

Top Bottom