Books you've left unfinished.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
What is it about A Brief History of Time, it is very brief! I know it is probably one of the most started and unfinished books ever though.

Odyssey

If anyone couldn't get through Brief History of time but are still interested in the subject, maybe you could try Briefer History of Time, which is toned down a bit and comes with pleasing on the eye illustrations to help your brain along a bit? It's still deep stuff, but it's graspable.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Odyssey said:
If anyone couldn't get through Brief History of time but are still interested in the subject, maybe you could try Briefer History of Time, which is toned down a bit and comes with pleasing on the eye illustrations to help your brain along a bit? It's still deep stuff, but it's graspable.

Yes, there's also The Universe in a Nutshell which is a similar sort of thing and similar lavish pictures and even easier to understand.

wafflycat

Pretty much anything in 'O' level English literature we were forced to endure.

I don't care if Shakespeare is supposed to be the pinnacle of English literature, for me, it simply isn't. If I want to learn to read a foreign language, I'll go to a foreign language course...

Lord of the Rings
Most poetry

yello

Too many. Sadly, I used to feel compelled to read the books that one is meant to read. I quickly realised that Philip K Dick was more my level than Voltaire or Balzac etc (though I did get through some Satre and Camus :sad:)

Invariably though, I figured the problem was my lack of a concentration span rather than the book being rubbish. The only book I remember thinking 'nah, this is crap' and not finishing was Nick Cave's 'And The Ass Saw The Angle'.

jonesy

Guru
Atonement. Pretentious and tedious.:sad: It won't therefore become the film I walk out of, as I wont walk in in the first place.

redcogs

Guru
i watched atonement last week dvd. Yet another much lauded pile of rubbish, along with the Full Monty and Chariots of bleedin Fire to only mention two. The Brits can't do it anymore can they.

Atonement only came alive with Vanilla Redgrave's conclusion.

The tragedy is that the best film maker in the UK, K Loach, is recognised world wide for his unique artistic contribution , but here he's more or less ignored by a spiteful class biased elite who would benefit from a spell of hard work and state funded accommodation.

redcogs

Guru
Just realised that this is a thread about books not film. Sorry.

i really disagree with the Chuff assessment of Bronte. Wuthering Heights is an absolute masterpiece IMO.

Failed to complete 'The Grundrisse' :sad:

But 'Brief History of Time' i sailed through because of the challenge. Can't honestly claim that i enjoyed or understood it though..

curve

I've just binned The Gathering by Anne Enright. I always get a sense of a book within the first couple of chapters. I just hate books with pretentios twaddle where nothing actually happens. This is one of those books.

redcogs said:
The tragedy is that the best film maker in the UK, K Loach, is recognised world wide for his unique artistic contribution , but here he's more or less ignored by a spiteful class biased elite who would benefit from a spell of hard work and state funded accommodation.
Cobblers, Mr Loach is regularly w*nked over appreciated by UK critics. Personally I'd rather eat my own ears than be forced to sit through any of his offerings. It's just the 80mm Eastenders isn't it?

redcogs

Guru
Why should anyone take any notice of someone who fails to comprehend Wuthering Heights as a masterpiece but believes the 'Da Vinci Code' is worthy of attention?

Christ

Top Bottom