Books you've left unfinished.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
When out of my mind with boredom and it being the only book to hand, I forced myself to read the Di Vinci Code.
At about three major points in the book I had to hurl it at the wall because it was sooo crap and patronising.
When I finished it, in my disgust I took the book straight out to the paper recycling bin and tore it to pieces.

Another day wasted.

simoncc

Lord of The Rings. I think I just made it to page 2.

simoncc

simon l& and a half said:
well, there you go. Now all you millions who read it and were transported know how foolishly your time was wasted.

Eh? I didn't like Lord of the Rings. That's all. Millions do. I know that. What point are you trying to make?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The whole Da Vinci Code / Holy Blood & Holy Grail lot make me want to chew my own ears off:angry:. Their only redeeming feature is that they got me a few good days cycling while my partner walked round Rennes le Chateau with about 15 000000 other victims of utter fanw*nkery.

It's actually quite a pleasant ride to Rennes le Chateau. But do yourself a favour and turn round as soon as you get there. Trust me...:angry:

simoncc

simon l& and a half said:
the point I'm making to cc is that it is just possible that giving up at the end of page 1 might have been a tad hasty, or, possibly, an indicator of a certain mental laxity.

No, not mental laxity, just an inability to be interested in a book about pixies, goblins and pompously named geographical locations. I'm pleased that you enjoy such books. Horses for courses as they say.

Abitrary

I spent 2 years trying to get through the hobbit, simply out of peer pressure and the hype of the films, and just gave up because it was too 2-dimensional - like the Harry Potter film I saw.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I read the Hobbit but could never raise the ethusiasm for any other Tolkien.

Although I don't loath the LOTR books they are IMO just 1930's 'Boys Own Adventure' stories lifted to a certain degree from the operas of Wagner.
I doubt I could sit through the entire 'Ring Cycle', anymore than I could read it.

*Wagner's 'Ring Cycle' - a prototype bicycle powered by the clenching of buttocks, never left the R&D stage.*

Abitrary

TheDoctor said:
The whole Da Vinci Code / Holy Blood & Holy Grail lot make me want to chew my own ears off:angry:

I enjoyed the Da Vinci Code a lot!!! He's not a subtle writer, but he knows how to keep the suspense going.

Also, the hype went completely over my head, so I didn't have the foggiest idea what it was about when I started it.

yello

Chuffy said:
Cobblers, Mr Loach is regularly w*nked over appreciated by UK critics. Personally I'd rather eat my own ears than be forced to sit through any of his offerings. It's just the 80mm Eastenders isn't it?

I think they eat more toast in Eastenders.

I have to admit a liking for Ken Loach. No, the films aren't excitement plus but at least there are more than 2 dimensions at work and the characters are complex and not clichés. He does have an agenda though and you do know (more or less) what you're going to get from him. That's not a criticism since I rate him as a film maker even if his films are not always an easy watch.

Sorry, which thread is this? Books or films??

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
tdr1nka said:
I read the Hobbit but could never raise the ethusiasm for any other Tolkien.

Although I don't loath the LOTR books they are IMO just 1930's 'Boys Own Adventure' stories lifted to a certain degree from the operas of Wagner.
I doubt I could sit through the entire 'Ring Cycle', anymore than I could read it.

*Wagner's 'Ring Cycle' - a prototype bicycle powered by the clenching of buttocks, never left the R&D stage.*

It's a shame that's what you perceive them to be because one of Prof Tolkein's motives for writing them was to provide the equivalent of a national epic for the English (but obviously pure fiction). It draws inspiration from a lot of sources: Wagner's Ring as you point out and Beowulf among others. The Riders of Rohan for instance are the cavalry we never had at Hastings and by means of which we would probably have been able to chuck the language corrupting Normans back into the sea and make it run red with their blood.

Andy in Sig said:
It's a shame that's what you perceive them to be because one of Prof Tolkein's motives for writing them was to provide the equivalent of a national epic for the English (but obviously pure fiction). It draws inspiration from a lot of sources: Wagner's Ring as you point out and Beowulf among others. The Riders of Rohan for instance are the cavalry we never had at Hastings and by means of which we would probably have been able to chuck the language corrupting Normans back into the sea and make it run red with their blood.
You're bitching about linguistic changes that date back nearly 1000 years? ;)
Bloody hell. srsly...:angry:

The thing with Tolkien is that yes, there is that 'noble chap x Wagner + Arthur and chuck in some Norse mythos for good measure' kind of thing going on. It's a pretty simple story with some very basic characters. And if you come to the books as an adult then you'll probably raise an eyebrow and turn back. But if you read them when you're nine, like I did, then that simplicity just makes them easier to read and you'll be sucked in completely. Every time I've read them subsequently (and that's a lot) I've found something new, something that the films have greatly helped with thanks to the brilliant writing team.

Andy in Sig said:
The Riders of Rohan for instance are the cavalry we never had at Hastings and by means of which we would probably have been able to chuck the language corrupting Normans back into the sea and make it run red with their blood.
And where were they when the Romans rolled in, eh? Or are the Romans acceptable in a way that the Normans aren't?

Top Bottom