Books you've left unfinished.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
redcogs said:
Why should anyone take any notice of someone who fails to comprehend Wuthering Heights as a masterpiece but believes the 'Da Vinci Code' is worthy of attention?

Christ
Why are certain books (films, albums etc) deemed beyond criticism? The Da Vinci Code was utter toss, but passed a few hours. No one has ever tried to stuff it down my throat as a literary classic though. Unlike Wuthering bleedin' Heights.

redcogs

Guru
Chuffy said:
Why are certain books (films, albums etc) deemed beyond criticism? The Da Vinci Code was utter toss, but passed a few hours. No one has ever tried to stuff it down my throat as a literary classic though. Unlike Wuthering bleedin' Heights.

There could be a good reason for that?

redcogs said:
There could be a good reason for that?
Look, if you want to tug your proletarian forelock to whatever the commissars of literary taste tell you to, that's fine with me. But I think it's a crap book. The only redeeming feature is that it inspired Kate Bush. :ohmy:

Rich P - Thanks for reminding me of James Joyce. :sad:

redcogs

Guru
Chuffy said:
Look, if you want to tug your proletarian forelock to whatever the commissars of literary taste tell you to, that's fine with me. But I think it's a crap book. The only redeeming feature is that it inspired Kate Bush. :thumbsup:

Rich P - Thanks for reminding me of James Joyce. :angry:

Common ground at last.

I did 'O' and 'A' level English Lit btw. Oh and studied it at degree level. There's nothing so off putting than being told that you have to read some dire old pile of tripe and that it is a classic, no argument allowed. Left to my own devices I'd have avoided the whole miserable lot of them, as it is I have a positively volcanic loathing of pretty much anything that you can turn into a costume drama.

redcogs said:
All farmers are dirty disease promoting greed filled tax evading public subsidy abusing swine.
:angry:
Were you bitten by one as a child?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
There do seem to be a lot of people that get put off classics at O level or GCSE. Didn't have any of that myself, we read a book called Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry which was a dreadfully melodramatic and simple book and one of the worst books I've ever read. I'd have much preferred to have been force read classics to death.

jonesy

Guru
simon l& and a half said:
http://www.anothercyclingforum.com/index.php?topic=40432.0
in case you have second thoughts

Thank you simon! A most excellent review! :angry: You've convinced me...

mjones said:
Thank you simon! A most excellent review! :thumbsup: You've convinced me...

I'm confused by his reference to Mrs L3. Has Simon now got three wives? Is he entitled to break the speed limit while driving from one to the other to perform his matrimonial duties? :angry:

Patrick Stevens said:
I'm confused by his reference to Mrs L3. Has Simon now got three wives? Is he entitled to break the speed limit while driving from one to the other to perform his matrimonial duties? :angry:

I am serially monogamous. And I don't drive. And it's never a duty, always a pleasure

Top Bottom