Boost Hubs....can I mount normal wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
plus you'll be cringing if you actually use the bike on gravel as various rocks gouge into the canbon

A good point!!! Just had a comment from a OEM higher spec Creo owner running carbon wheels talking about switching out to alloys for day to day use :smile:

I need to learn to sit on my hands more!!

FishFright

More wheels than sense
A good point!!! Just had a comment from a OEM higher spec Creo owner running carbon wheels talking about switching out to alloys for day to day use :smile:

If you want them and can afford them then why not treat yourself :smile:

If you want tech info from the 21st Century this isn't the place to ask, most of the posters have reached that part of their lives where modernity is strange and scary so they have to pretend its all rubbish.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Fancy wheels for the road maybe, but not gravel (unless you can afford the replacements/won't get too upset). I remember seeing a guy riding 'Lightweight' carbon road wheels for a Cheshire Sportive - which are mega bucks wheels, and I just thought, has he not seen the state of Cheshire's roads ?. PS I do have a set of carbon deep section wheels, but only used them whilst I raced time trials. They are hung up in the garage now - they weren't a general purpose wheel.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
If you want tech info from the 21st Century this isn't the place to ask, most of the posters have reached that part of their lives where modernity is strange and scary so they have to pretend its all rubbish.

That's a pretty offensive comment to make and also blatant unfounded ageism.

Just because someone has been around long enough to gain real life experience of how much of the latest 'must have' innovations, trends and fads actually quickly get relegated to the dust gathering relics of yesterday does not make them 'scared or out of date'. They are just maybe smarter than you because they can see through the hype to realise the pointlessness of some products without having to own it!

FishFright

More wheels than sense
That's a pretty offensive comment to make and also blatant unfounded ageism.

Just because someone has been around long enough to gain real life experience of how much of the latest 'must have' innovations, trends and fads actually quickly get relegated to the dust gathering relics of yesterday does not make them 'scared or out of date'. They are just maybe smarter than you because they can see through the hype to realise the pointlessness of some products without having to own it!

You only have to look at this thread so see that it was well founded. With your post just being the icing on the cake.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nobody is saying the OP can't or shouldn't buy what he wants but there's nothing wrong with pointing out why it might not be a wise purchase or unnecessary.
We can all put in our twopenny worth and I'm sure he won't mind us if his mind is set. That's the beauty of forums like this, everyone has their viewpoint, young or old, but neither is right or wrong.

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
That's the beauty of forums like this, everyone has their viewpoint, young or old, but neither is right or wrong.

Which is why I don't understand some of the odd comments on here from people that seem to love to judge. Everyone is different, that's the beauty of life, things go wrong when people assume their views are more correct than others.

I can see the point of a wider/stronger hub, who doesn't want wheels that are harder to buckle. I also can see its better to get a 'proper' Boost wheelset for the new bike vs adapting a normal wheelset. So for me I can see it makes more sense to save up more ££££ and buy later than get a 'cheaper' non boost wheel set.

As for tech, risk etc what ever you call it, I personally rather try new things and accept somethings might not work out versus worrying about stuff going wrong. Money after is just an enabler of new experiencs, so why wouldn't you use it to try new things in life??

For bikes am actually quite conservative, this is the latest phone am using (Its fab), and my watch can produce an ECG that looks pretty close to a real 12 lead.

52357049258_03db174c49_c_d.jpg

51855706438_f1ba9c5a52_c_d.jpg

The biggest change for me in recent years is the push to the 'cloud'. It has totally changed how I view and use digital storage. I don't think I even own a USBC compatible hard drive where as few years ago I was faffing with SATA/USB3.0, instead we get through minimum 30gig of Internet data a day and at weekend 70-80gig+.

52431725733_ecc99d2124_c_d.jpg

Ofcourse some tech innovations are a dead end, this was the first thing I ever ordered from Amazon.

50640214823_cfae6edede_d.jpg

Who knows Boost for road bike might end up like Palm, but what's the fun in life if you never take a risk???

Anyways very off topic now. Summary, save up, don't cheap out, buy some Boost hub wheelsets :smile:

You only have to look at this thread so see that it was well founded. With your post just being the icing on the cake.

Have to disagree. If you spend enough time in this forum, you can sort of separate wheat from the chaff. That is if you have decent knowledge of bikes in the first place. I do agree there are a number in this forum that fine modern stuff a challenge to comprehend but all the comments in this particular thread is spot on.

Even those who are easily adaptable to innovation end buying things that they don‘t understand and it is not unexpected as many of us have done it one time or another.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
Even those who are easily adaptable to innovation end buying things that they don‘t understand and it is not unexpected as many of us have done it one time or another.

And for me, that is my general approach to life. Personally I work very hard on ensuring I push my self to try the unknown, get out of my comfort zone, don't be afraid to fail or get it wrong.

To succeed in anything in life first you must learn to fail, its how you respond to failure that defines who you are. Everyone deals with success easily, but all of us find dealing with failure/getting it wrong hard, and it's that fear of failure that holds you back.

Even today at work, am having to remind my self of that, not doing the thing what's hard/unknown is easy, but if you want to make your self useful/valuable you have to overcome the fear of failure.

When I comes to Boost hubs.......honestly who cares if anyone gets it wrong/right, there are so many other things in life worth worrying about, thats my conclusion anyways:smile:.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Your better option might be handbuilt wheels, that use hubs which have the swappable end caps - these are designed for boost and non boost, or even super boost. This way you aren't stuck to an obscure standard.

EG Some Hope hubs laced to say some wide Hunt rims. Significantly cheaper than what you've looked for and more 'standard' change proof. The issue is propriety standards that cause issues - Spesh are a bit of a nightmare for it.

MTB's are even worse with at least 4 hub standards now. QR, standard through axels (rear is 142 though), BOOST and SUPER BOOST

The superstar wheels I bought can be specced for at least three of the standards by swapping the end cap, as that's how the hub is designed - no messy converters, just a cap.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Just to clarify, the point of boost hubs is the extra width of the hub allows the spoke flanges to be further out, allowing a deeper dish and ergo stronger wheel. Whether you'd need them or not is another question entirely :smile:

Top Bottom