Boost Hubs....can I mount normal wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Oh my it's much easier at my level of cycling I just buy a bike and ride it with immense pleasure and enjoyment.

figbat

Slippery scientist
It seems like an awful faff to convert wheels to boost and have them redished to end up with a compromised wheel set when there are plenty of boost wheel sets out there built for the job.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Got to ask, but WHY?

My understanding of BOOST without resorting to Google to check if I am right, is that it is a format created to allow the use of oversize tyres (like fat bikes etc) and involves increasing the width of hubs and bottom bracket so the frame can be built to fit the big tyres behind the BB and at the fork crown and such.
As a result it is a standard of it's own and renders many normal components non-compatible. Sure some things can be made to fit, but this will always be a compromise and less than ideal.

Why have you bought a bike designed to the BOOST format only to try and convert back to the normal standard?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can't use said wheels unless they are designed with swappable end caps. Otherwise you need boost hubs wheels for road bikes. The Superstar wheels I just bought are compatible with boost and non boost (MTB) but the hubs are designed for swappable end caps.

Unfortunately you've fell into the new mess of Road Boost wheelsets - whoops

fossyant

That kit would probably do it, but I'd check to be sure. Most kits just pop on/off where the hub is properly designed.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Unfortunately you've fell into the new mess of Road Boost wheelsets - whoops

Road Boost!!!! Now I've heard it all.

I'm no luddite, I've got a through axle road bike, carbon bikes, disc brakes in varying flavours, 9/10/11spd drivetrains (all much of a muchness IMO) and my everyday fleet spans 1996-2018. However, while I am happy to embrace advances and new technology, it has to be justified and rational. I won't just swallow the latest marketing gimmick because the industry and it's lap dog reviewers say it is the best thing since sliced bread.
The more this thread grows, the more I am reminded of this comical YouTube vid that was doing the rounds a couple of years ago....

View: https://youtu.be/Jj0uBQ7j5c4

OP
OP
G

gzoom

Über Member
£800 plus carbon wheels for commuting ?? Or are these weekend wheels

Didn't need a new bike for any real reason in the first place. Will stick to the Boost wheelsets, £1500 for a decent set though, so will save up for a bit longer:smile:

fossyant

Didn't need a new bike for any real reason in the first place. Will stick to the Boost wheelsets, £1500 for a decent set though, so will save up for a bit longer:smile:

You know you'll be just splurging money on some wheels that won't make you faster, and daft unless you race, which you can't on an electric bike, plus you'll be cringing if you actually use the bike on gravel as various rocks gouge into the canbon - you should see the chips on my alloy Full Suspension MTB rims and spokes !

Top Bottom