boot mounted bike rack on long journeys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I only have room on the car for a boot mounted bike rack with straps to hold it to the car as the roof space is taken up with a roof box , for holibobs i need to drive over 200 miles each way.
Apart from the obvious security issues when stopped at service stations etc would you trust one to keep your bike at motorway speeds for that sort of distance ?
A tow ball rack is not an option either as the car doesnt have one and i cant justify the cost of installation

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Along with the rack straps I use a few bungee cords.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Apart from the obvious security issues when stopped at service stations etc would you trust one to keep your bike at motorway speeds for that sort of distance ?

I have done in the past. For security I locked a D lock and cable from the bikes to the roof rail support. The boot mounted rack was pretty solid (when properly mounted and strapped in place) so I had no qualms on that front.

Drago

Legendary Member
Provided its not resting on the tailgate glass - I've picked too many bikes off the motorway in my time to ever consider doing that myself - it would worry me not.

Do your checks every time you stop for a break and you're golden.

Top Bottom