Boris says he'll....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I wasn't going to vote for him anyway.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I'm fine with that, they don't cause me any problems....

I'd def vote for him if he stopped black cabs using bus lanes

Wobbles

zimzum42 said:
I'm fine with that, they don't cause me any problems....

I'd def vote for him if he stopped black cabs using bus lanes

Agreed -
By and large, m/bikes aren't a problem (there'll always be an exception to the rule tho) + I ride one so know just how dangerous it is not being allowed to use the bus lane.

Never understood why cabs are allowed to use them as they are possibly the most singularly elitist form of transport available - just doesn't add up.

Tynan

Veteran
for some reason ken has always been in bed with the black cabs, just look at the way he treats the mini cabs

I do have a problem with this, motorbikes are fine where they are, why on earth do they need to use the bus lane? I have a regular problem with bad riders swerving into the bus lane to pass traffic on the inside, there's a significant proportion of badly ridden motorbikes and scooters in London, unlike cycles, a numpty can still go fast on a scooter, too fast for their own good and other users, only they'll hurt a cyclist in a way they won;t when they hit a car

Boris is an idiot trawling for votes

Tynan

Veteran
it's not about how many wheels surely, it's a combination of public value and vulnerability to regular traffic

and whether you're a black cab

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
I didn't even realise they weren't allowed at the moment - the bus/cycle lanes are full of them around here (Birmingham) and cars just nipping into it to get to the car park, drop passengers off etc etc!!!

domtyler

Über Member
They should definitely be allowed in London. I see quite a lot of collisions on my route where there are motorbike fatalities, three in three weeks at the end of last year. I think a lot of this could be saved by letting them in. They are basically doing so anyway, but riding at speed along the edge of the bus lane and the normal carriageway, right next to the other motor traffic. I.e. the most dangerous place they could be.

I read somewhere the other day that in trials, collisions with cyclists actually go down when they are allowed in, maybe because they are not swerving in and out or looking for cameras or stupidity from car drivers?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
In principle I'd be OK with the idea, but in practice I get PTW twunts zooming past my right elbow with inches to spare all the time. I don't want that kind of riding next to me in the bus lane, and unfortunately it seems to be more common that the few good riders I see.

domtyler

Über Member
BentMikey said:
In principle I'd be OK with the idea, but in practice I get PTW twunts zooming past my right elbow with inches to spare all the time. I don't want that kind of riding next to me in the bus lane, and unfortunately it seems to be more common that the few good riders I see.

It's always the few bad apples eh? I know what you mean, I get this too, sometimes it can be almost petrifying. When you see a biker dead or injured in the road several times a month though you start to feel a bit sorry for 'em. :angry:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Totally, I have lots of empathy too as I used to ride a lot. Unfortunately the bad passes I get in the bus lane are more than just a few bad apples, some days they seem to be the majority. On quite a bit of my route they are allowed in the bus lane as part of the trial.

jashburnham

I have no problem with this at all, I'd much rather they were kept out of the ASL's though. Boris is getting my vote as Ken has been in power too long and the stink of corruption around him is becoming increasingly apparent. Plus Boris actually cycles (unlike Ken) and hates those bendy buses as well! I think Ken's done just about ok on the whole (Metronet aside) although he's done little for us cyclists IMHO. It's time for some fresh perspective, and although Boris might look a bit daft, he's a pretty sharp cookie when it comes down to it.

Cab

I get too many dreadfully poor motorcyclists overtaking closely in our bus lanes here, and they're not allowed in there. I don't get why making it legal is a good thing from a cyclists perspective.

Top Bottom