Bottom Bracket Bearings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andsaw

Is paying more for Angular BB bearings worth it or is standard BB bearings which cost around two thirds less, and would be noticeable as i read the description that standard bearings only have 3-4 ball bearings in contact at any one time as the angular bearings have all ball bearing in contact with the correct preload.

si_c

Guru
Is paying more for Angular BB bearings worth it or is standard BB bearings which cost around two thirds less, and would be noticeable as i read the description that standard bearings only have 3-4 ball bearings in contact at any one time as the angular bearings have all ball bearing in contact with the correct preload.
I'm not entirely sure how you would get angular contact bearings for a bottom bracket, just get the regular ones, sounds like marketing bollocks to me.

Edit: Done a bit of googling, didn't realise you can get angular cartridge bearings. Still doesn't negate there being minimal axial load on a BB, so I'd still get the cheaper option.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm not entirely sure how you would get angular contact bearings for a bottom bracket, just get the regular ones, sounds like marketing bollocks to me.

Edit: Done a bit of googling, didn't realise you can get angular cartridge bearings. Still doesn't negate there being minimal axial load on a BB, so I'd still get the cheaper option.
All BB bearings used to be 'angular contact'.

Crankarm

Guru

Eh? BBs are either sealed cartridges or external bearings as in Shimano Hollowtech. If your bike is an antique it might have really old bearings to be built up, but these would make the bike well old.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Eh? BBs are either sealed cartridges or external bearings as in Shimano Hollowtech. If your bike is an antique it might have really old bearings to be built up, but these would make the bike well old.
Maybe some company has finally realised that angular contact bearings were better after all (they do have less sliding friction than ball or roller bearings)

Top Bottom