Bottom bracket care

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heigue'r

Veteran
20171204_204254.jpg
20171204_204237.jpg

A bit of advice required please.
Im guessing that the crank arm has worn from all the grit trapped between it and the bottom bracket.Never really noticed anything from cycling but the bottom bracket developed a really annoying creak in the last few weeks so I decided to have a look.Ive since cleaned and regreased everything in the hope of getting rid of the creaking but no joy.Im going to fit a new bottom bracket,should I fit a new crankarm given the wear on this one or will it be ok..Im not sure what to do really.
Bike is usually kept clean but first time looking at the bottom bracket in approx 4700miles.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds like you may need new bearings. Is it a BB30? If it is you’ll need a few tools to remove the old one and put new bearings in. This might help you:

View: https://youtu.be/ecT_6vjjjGQ

Is there play between the B.B. splines and the crank? If not you should be ok.

OP
OP
H

Heigue'r

Veteran
There is no play at all,just a really annoying click on every revolution,It gets louder with the more effort put in...Its 24mm shimano..I was thinking of trying the hope pf 41 in there to get rid of the creaking but have read contradicting reviews on it so not sure.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The clicking may well be the worn bearings. Can’t help you with the PF41, maybe someone else has some experience on that.

I was just thinking the chainrings could do with looking at too but I’m sure you’re aware.

OP
OP
H

Heigue'r

Veteran
A whole new crankset isnt a whole lot more expensive than the big front ring.It may well be time to treat it to a whole new drivetrain

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Try one legged pedalling to see if it is crank arm specific or creaks with power from either crank arm. Clicking is generally the BB based on my own experiences. BB is cheap to replace and your first option but the mileage is low for it to start going.

Silly as it might seem, have you checked your saddle, because I once had an annoying creak from what I thought was the BB, stripped it, degreased the bearings rebuilt it spun the cranks no creak, took it for a ride the creaks were back, then a friend told me to check the Saddle, turned out it was the saddle rails flexing in the clamp. Tightened them up real tight and the creak was no more.

xzenonuk

Veteran
Silly as it might seem, have you checked your saddle, because I once had an annoying creak from what I thought was the BB, stripped it, degreased the bearings rebuilt it spun the cranks no creak, took it for a ride the creaks were back, then a friend told me to check the Saddle, turned out it was the saddle rails flexing in the clamp. Tightened them up real tight and the creak was no more.

my mtb had similar turned out greasing the seat post was all that was needed :smile:

si_c

Guru
If you've got a creak, when pedalling, with a press fit BB, the most likely culprit is the BB. Was riding home with two guys from my LBS the other week, both had press fit BB, both were moaning about the creaking.

If the bearings themselves are spinning OK, it might be worth getting your local shop to remove, clean, and refit them.

OP
OP
H

Heigue'r

Veteran
Thanks for all the replies.I havn't used the bike for the last couple of weeks due to weather and lazyness.I will try all the above suggestions allthough Ive allready ruled out the saddle area as it is clean and greased.The noise is allways from the right hand side.It is consistant to the revolution of the cranks but varys,noise wise,by how much pressure is applied.It may well be the pedal or bb.It will be the new year before I find out now.

NickNick

Thanks for all the replies.I havn't used the bike for the last couple of weeks due to weather and lazyness.I will try all the above suggestions allthough Ive allready ruled out the saddle area as it is clean and greased.The noise is allways from the right hand side.It is consistant to the revolution of the cranks but varys,noise wise,by how much pressure is applied.It may well be the pedal or bb.It will be the new year before I find out now.

In which case try putting a few drop of oil into the pedal axles as a quick way to rule it out, then if its still making a noise you've got the fun of investigating the BB.

Top Bottom