Bottom bracket care

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
H

Heigue'r

Veteran
Update and solved.
Took the pedals apart and greased,still creaking.
Removed every saddle component and greased where needed and used fibre grease on the saddle post.Still creaking.
Greased the qr spindles and threads.Still creaking.
Removed the cranks again and regreased.Still creaking.
Found a post on cyclechat earlier where a giant defy was suffering the same.The cure for that was the two screws holding the mech hanger.Have just been out for a quick spin after tightening up these 2 screws.The bike is silent,not a squeek out of it.Im amazed that these two screws,which were slighly loose,could be the cause of such a racket.One took 2 turns and the other half a turn.Delighted with the result is an understatement.Happy days:wahhey:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Amazing, how things resonate, isn't it?

Touch wood, I hope your creak doesn't come back, I've lost count of the number of times my giant developed a creak, I was 100% sure I fixed it yet still had to go back to the drawing board!

In the end, I vowed never to buy a frame with PF BB again, a total nightmare.

OP
OP
H

Heigue'r

Veteran
Touch wood, I hope your creak doesn't come back, I've lost count of the number of times my giant developed a creak, I was 100% sure I fixed it yet still had to go back to the drawing board!

Ill see how I get on,I was looking last night at a tarmac as they have a threaded bb.Hopefully it is cured though and for now it looks like the bb was nothing to do with it.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've come to the conclusion that modern bike construction is absolute crap what with totally dumb ideas like press-fit BB's, sealed bearings, and headsets that don't have a simple quill stem and expander bolt to enable height adjustment. I'll be sticking to the classic stuff that is old enough to have been designed to strip down, regrease, and put back together again. It's ironic that the cheapest budget bikes still have user-serviceable parts, whereas the supposedly "quality" ones often have all the expensive and troublesome to service stuff fitted.

bpsmith

Veteran
How did bike shops stay open in the past then @SkipdiverJohn, if older bikes never needed parts or servicing?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Older bikes did need parts and repairs. The difference is if your BB or wheels needed bearings you went in the bike shop and bought a packet of ball bearings, and you replaced them using normal tools. You didn't need to replace the complete BB, and you didn't need any special tools other than a basic bike spanner. My LBS used to do plenty of business in tyres, tubes, lights, dynamo sets, pedals, brake blocks, brake & gear cables, chains, bar tape, ball bearings, axles, cotter pins, tubs of grease etc.

Top Bottom