Bottom Bracket Crank fitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I took this old BB out this morning. The cranks were held by a standard bolt, so I didn't pay much attention to them. Both sides had identical bolts holding the crank arms.
However when I when to put the right hand crank back there isn't a hole for the bolt. The "pin"in the axle is lose.

HELP!!

1586535667847.png

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can't figure out how the cranks are attached from that pic. Can you post some of the cranks,?
How old is the bike?

OP
OP
mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Standard tapered square mount with a bolt. The other end is perfectly normal, as this one appeared to be when I took it off.
No photos till the morning now

OP
OP
mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Is that part of the crank puller (octalink adapter) left in there?
That's possible, but I tried twisting it with a pair of pliers and it wouldn't move, but the end looked too smooth to have broken off. I'll look again it the morning. It might explain why the other crank arm won't budge - puller not long enough now.

OP
OP
mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Is that part of the crank puller (octalink adapter) left in there?
Thanks
I looked at the axle again and it all looked too smooth to have sheared off, but when I looked at the puller it all fitted. It's well and truly stuch in, but a new axle is only £4.99 (and I'll need a new puller)

Gunk

Guru
I’ve only used a cheap crank puller once and it stripped the thread on the crankset. It’s worth buying a proper tool

Top Bottom