Bottom Bracket Life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangid

Guru
Last Hope BB on my Burls did 20K, I usually reckon on ~18kmiles.

Whatever is in my my Spesh Roubaix is coming up on 10Kmiles and is still running perfectly, and silently. Not looking forward to the day when I have to replace that (or them, it's some sort of press fit affair).

davidphilips

Veteran
Think Bottom bracket life depends on type of bottom bracket, the use its put to and most importantly the frame alignment, know some cyclists that seem to get very high mileages when on same club runs as others on same type of bike/bottom bracket have to change them at very low mileages perhaps due to frame alignment and bottom bracket bearings subject to overloading and stress they are not designed for?

Think Bottom bracket life depends on type of bottom bracket, the use its put to and most importantly the frame alignment, know some cyclists that seem to get very high mileages when on same club runs as others on same type of bike/bottom bracket have to change them at very low mileages perhaps due to frame alignment and bottom bracket bearings subject to overloading and stress they are not designed for?
"Alignement", with bike, the planets, wouldn't be an issue with ST as I understand it. A big plus.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Last Hope BB on my Burls did 20K, I usually reckon on ~18kmiles.

Whatever is in my my Spesh Roubaix is coming up on 10Kmiles and is still running perfectly, and silently. Not looking forward to the day when I have to replace that (or them, it's some sort of press fit affair).
my summer bike is pf 30 i have been lucky no creaks etc but when its due its a LBS job i can do threaded but don have the tools for PF so for the odd new its not worth buying a new set .

Sorry, must admit i haven't watched the vid (not my type of bike) but i doubt that that bike uses ST.
Feel free to enlighten me with words.

Tom B

Guru
I use basic square taper.

My first Shimano UN54 got me to about 10k. Then I fitted about three or four Sunrace units that barely got to 2k including one that fully disintegrated.

Following advice on CC I fitted a UN55 which is currently approaching 12k and 3years.

The bike is used in all weathers including heavy wet and salty conditions. It gets a once a week swill if it's lucky. But I do make an effort to keep the chain etc mickled and squirt the gt85 / oil around.

Sods law says it'll now go knackered in the freezing cold and over winter when I can't get a replacement.

Shimano un55 worth the extra without a doubt.

Top Bottom