Bought a new bike was I hoodwinked?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'm not sure about the pricing and specs, but a bit of general advice: If the bike is sound, you've basically got a good used bike for 1/3 or new RRP. Don't worry about it, if you've bought it now then nothing can be done. I've bought stuff before and paid big money for what turned out to be a lemon (motorbike), but we live and learn. Better to pay slightly over the odds for something decent, than pay book price for something that's going to break on you all the time

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've sold a 4-5 year old carbon road bike recently and got over half the initial outlay back (list price 1100, ebay finishing price nearly 600), although it was in super condition and meticulously looked after. On a used bike condition is everything, age is not quite so critical. The buyer was delighted in person and used prices are staying buoyant.
So if it's in good condition, and you like it, then you've not been hoodwinked and the price isn't that far off.

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

Not necessarily if a sight unseen eBay purchase?
Do you have the bike, or is it on its way? If not, just pull out of the sale If not happy. Otherwise, you could have a good buy, 11 years isn’t actually that old for a bike even a carbon one Especially if it’s been cared for and/or lightly used

Its on the way.. I'll take it to the bike shop and have them inspect it and the carbon and take pictures. All the damage he said were blemishes so any cracks or worn out parts They will tell me and I will get refunded partially or fully. Since this wasn't stated in his description.

raggydoll

Über Member
Buying any bike unseen is a risk to a certain extent.
It could be a 10 year old bike or a 10 week old bike.
You are trusting that the seller has looked after it and is being honest about the condition or any issues etc.
Do you have any links to the original advert or the actual photo's used for the sale?

Bought a Cannondale Synapse carbon off Ebay for £800 guy said it was worth £2500.... A few .... years ago.. Turns out its a 2011 Synapse Carbon 3... Looks in great condition from the pics but his sort of dishonesty in PM's has got me suspicious. Is this still a good bike for the money? Assuming its not compromised carbonwise. Its spec: https://www.theproscloset.com/products/2011-cannondale-synapse-carbon-3-l
I bought the exact same bike from Royles in Wilmslow for £1800 in 2012, got a decent discount. Sold it for £1600 in 2015. Looks good for the money when you consider what a new Ultegra version costs.

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

Buying any bike unseen is a risk to a certain extent.
It could be a 10 year old bike or a 10 week old bike.
You are trusting that the seller has looked after it and is being honest about the condition or any issues etc.
Do you have any links to the original advert or the actual photo's used for the sale?

He is lying in the description he said originally costed £2500 a few years ago.. When its 10-11 years old unless he bought second hand full retail which is very unlikely. I have grounds for full refund based on that alone I think. Let alone if theres damage or wear that wasn't specified.

'If the item you received arrived damaged, doesn't match the listing description, or if it's the wrong item, you're covered under the eBay Money Back Guarantee. You can return it even if the seller's returns policy says they don't accept returns.'

Attachments

• IMG-20210615-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20210615-WA0007.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-20210615-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20210615-WA0008.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
How do you know he didn’t pay full RRP new?
If he did, perhaps he has the receipt (I keep all mine for resale purposes)?
If not sure what you’re buying, can always do a Google images search

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

I bought the exact same bike from Royles in Wilmslow for £1800 in 2012, got a decent discount. Sold it for £1600 in 2015. Looks good for the money when you consider what a new Ultegra version costs.

Yeah but the 10 year old ultegra is nothing like the new version. You can't really compare. The shimano 105 new version probably way better than the 10 year old ultegra not to mention if the whole drive train is worn..

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
EBay can be a minefield for sellers as well as buyers. If the bike hasn’t even arrived yet you don’t actually know that there are any faults. Yes, you may have paid over the odds but it’s not the seller’s fault that you seem to have buyer’s remorse.

Obviously if it is damaged beyond the described faults you may have grounds for a claim, but you don’t know that yet.

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

How do you know he didn’t pay full RRP new?
If he did, perhaps he has the receipt (I keep all mine for resale purposes)?
He said when he originally bought it a few years ago not 10. Where would this bike be for sale at full £2500 price new two years ago they don't make them anymore.

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

EBay can be a minefield for sellers as well as buyers. If the bike hasn’t even arrived yet you don’t actually know that there are any faults. Yes, you may have paid over the odds but it’s not the seller’s fault that you seem to have buyer’s remorse.

Obviously if it is damaged beyond the described faults you may have grounds for a claim, but you don’t know that yet.

I know im just assuming the worst now but the power is all for the buyer with ebay. So he will end up regretting it if there is damage.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
He said when he originally bought it a few years ago not 10. Where would this bike be for sale at full £2500 price new two years ago they don't make them anymore.
It did cost £2500 originally - buyer doesn't say he paid that for it.

OP, I suggest that you contact the seller and ask them to cancel the transaction if you have these fundamental issues/doubts.

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

It did cost £2500 originally - buyer doesn't say he paid that for it.
yes a decade ago not a few years.. Few means two not 10 but probably not sound enough for refund on its own I admit. i'll have to get my local bike shop to go over it with a fine tooth comb for wear and damage. It may be fine but i'll see soon enough. I did message him to see if it was too late to cancel.

Top Bottom