Bought a new bike was I hoodwinked?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

When is the bike scheduled to arrive? Surely until you actually see it you have no idea whether it's good or bad. Maybe you should wait until then before you start panicking about being ripped off.
True but not sure I'll feel comfortable racing on 10 year old carbon especially at 85kg could end up killing me.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
True but not sure I'll feel comfortable racing on 10 year old carbon especially at 85kg could end up killing me.
I’m still using my 2012 Specialized Ruby and have no worries. Mind you, having owned it from new I know it hasn’t been dropped or damaged whereas you don’t have that luxury I suppose.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m heavier and happily ride on 10 year old carbon (albeit from new and low miles). It doesn’t fall apart.
If concerned, get it, If all ok sell on (you might even make a profit), buy a new 2k or 3k bike

How good are you at bike racing? I suspect that you haven't done very much for the simple reason that if you had done you would have known a bit more about bikes than you apparently do. No disrespect intended, but at the level you appear to be at there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with what you have purchased.
If this is your first bike, or first proper bike, then ride it. You WILL want to change it in 12/18/24 months, but you would want to do that whatever you have bought. Most on here are always looking at new/different bikes.
If you think you are overweight then you are unlikely to be at the sharp end of a race where most of the action is likely to happen.

You might have bought the wrong bike, but that could be said for most purchases by most folk. The other man's grass.....

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
@Mralexrides I really would stop worrying yourself over it. Unless it's blatently mis-described or arrives dangerously broken, both you and the seller have agreed the sale on the condition advertised. It's most likely that it will arrive in good condition, safe to ride, in which case you can decide to keep it or to sell it on. The more detail you give on here, and the more replies you read, it might not end up being very nice. I had a similar thing years ago with aforementioned lemon motorbike; by the time the thread was finished it took one of the moderators to ask everyone to stop kicking me when I was down, because it got to the point where everyone was saying it was my fault for not inspecting it beforehand, and it's not very nice to read when you've just shelled out £800.

Hope you enjoy your new bike :bicycle:

GuyBoden

Guru
Are there many races that need triple chainset bikes ?
The only Triple Crown is winning the Giro, TdF and the World Road Race. ^_^

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

@Mralexrides I really would stop worrying yourself over it. Unless it's blatently mis-described or arrives dangerously broken, both you and the seller have agreed the sale on the condition advertised. It's most likely that it will arrive in good condition, safe to ride, in which case you can decide to keep it or to sell it on. The more detail you give on here, and the more replies you read, it might not end up being very nice. I had a similar thing years ago with aforementioned lemon motorbike; by the time the thread was finished it took one of the moderators to ask everyone to stop kicking me when I was down, because it got to the point where everyone was saying it was my fault for not inspecting it beforehand, and it's not very nice to read when you've just shelled out £800.

True but it was my fault for not doing my due diligence. And for the other posters I only meant racing with friends on Sunday not like any official races. No need to bring my weight into it 😭☠️

vickster

Legendary Member
You brought your weight into it :wacko:

That bike is perfectly adequate for a blast with friends or a club. It's mostly down to you not the bike...

Sorry mate, but you are the one who brought your weight into this. Don't be surprised if what you think is a major problem is discussed.

When you are in a hole, stop digging.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I don’t think the seller has done anything wrong, a few years old can mean 10 years, it certainly doesn’t mean 2 years as you suggest. It looks like a triple up front so will be 30 speed. As long as the frame isn’t damaged (blemishes aside as he mentions) then he’s been totally honest.

You have bought a great bike, it’s no bargain but a fair price in today’s market.

Top Bottom