Bought a new bike was I hoodwinked?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Buyer's remorse is a thing, and a problem on online marketplaces. I remember selling a camera lens to a very rude guy who claimed it had fungus (it didn't - it had been cleaned by a professional Leica repairer recently, who also inspected it, and there were no signs of any fungus when shining a bright light through the lens).

If you have 100% feedback as a seller, built up over 20 years, you generally end up taking the item back and incurring both postage charges to avoid retaliatory ratings. It's one of the risks you take when dealing with the Great British Public.

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

A message from the seller:

' Hello, I've just got home from work to your message. Unfortunately the bike is with the courier and en route to you so I'm unable to cancel your order. I purchased the bike from a work colleague around 15 months ago. I was unable to clarify the precise age, hence the wording for a 'used' bike, so apologies if you feel this is 'very dishonest' as I'm simply ensuring that people are aware that it's not new - but not retro either. My colleague however rarely used it as did I, hence the condition as provided in the listing and pictures which is due from its minimal, mainly dry storage and use, irrespective of its exact age. I hope this helps. Thanks '

Seems pretty genuine and I guess time will tell if its been barely used or not.

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

Buyer's remorse is a thing, and a problem on online marketplaces. I remember selling a camera lens to a very rude guy who claimed it had fungus (it didn't - it had been cleaned by a professional Leica repairer recently, who also inspected it, and there were no signs of any fungus when shining a bright light through the lens).

If you have 100% feedback as a seller, built up over 20 years, you generally end up taking the item back and incurring both postage charges to avoid retaliatory ratings. It's one of the risks you take when dealing with the Great British Public.

Yeah I understand where your coming from but you were probably giving an accurate description of the item. Also im not being rude to the seller either just and dont plan to give him bad feedback. Unless theres reason to. Hes only been on ebay a year so hes probably not even worried about that he could ghost me and make a new account tomorrow.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
A message from the seller:

' Hello, I've just got home from work to your message. Unfortunately the bike is with the courier and en route to you so I'm unable to cancel your order. I purchased the bike from a work colleague around 15 months ago. I was unable to clarify the precise age, hence the wording for a 'used' bike, so apologies if you feel this is 'very dishonest' as I'm simply ensuring that people are aware that it's not new - but not retro either. My colleague however rarely used it as did I, hence the condition as provided in the listing and pictures which is due from its minimal, mainly dry storage and use, irrespective of its exact age. I hope this helps. Thanks '

Seems pretty genuine and I guess time will tell if its been barely used or not.
I think that's remarkably temperate for someone who had just been accused of being very dishonest.

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

I was just annoyed about the age of the bike you can't blame me for pointing it out but fair play he didn't know how old it was.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
I was just annoyed about the age of the bike you can't blame me for pointing it out but fair play he didn't know how old it was.

Not really, they were ambiguous over the age in the advert so if age was an issue you should have checked before making an offer. Type the make and model into Google images and scroll through until you find the image that matches the bike on offer. Eventually one of the photos will link to a page that states the build year.

I have purchased all my bikes on Ebay so I thoroughly recommend it. However if you are unable to carry out simple research then it might be best sticking to buying new in future.

And there is a difference between pointing out something that was unclear and calling somebody an outright liar.

I was just annoyed about the age of the bike you can't blame me for pointing it out

Erm, we can. The information is readily available online. The fact that you stumped up £800-odd quid before checking is on you. Caveat emptor n'all that.

I'm old-fashioned enough to remember when eBay was all about founder Pierre Omidyar's principle that "people are basically good" and still apply that to my eBaying. You seem to have gone all heavy-handed on a seller (calling him 'very dishonest' is not "not being rude" to him) who's done nothing wrong, and then to suggest that his account is disposable... well, we all had 5 feedback once!

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

Yes I did eventually find the model but I had already bought it when I did. Yes that's on me really. Yes it was a bad accusation to make I did apologize for it rightly.

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

Its been a long time since I used ebay but I did buy a bike about 6 or 7 years ago that I still use and im happy with. I guess i just assumed the worst and jumped the gun.

Reactions: C R

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Its been a long time since I used ebay but I did buy a bike about 6 or 7 years ago that I still use and im happy with. I guess i just assumed the worst and jumped the gun.
When you do finally get it and have checked it over, can you post some pictures of it on here so we can cast an eye over it?

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

When you do finally get it and have checked it over, can you post some pictures of it on here so we can cast an eye over it?

Yes will do but go easy on me.. but its mainly forks I want to see. but if he was as careful as he says and his friend who sold it to him should be ok. But who knows who had it before them. Thats what im wondering.

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

In colloquial terms, you've got a bit worked up about it. Have a beer, wait for its arrival, be pleasantly surprised that all's well, feel ever so slightly daft, and then go out and ride your new bike.

Yours, Uncle Agony :cheers:

Yeah true if its in good condition I will be happy. Its good to have people on here to bounce things off. Didn't realise what a dick I was being to him.

Top Bottom