Bought a new bike was I hoodwinked?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

I still have 20 year old carbon Cannondale Synapse. 10sp, new chainring and cables/headsets but just wear and use items. Great bike - lots of little paint chips but with 40k miles on it probably in better shape than a similar aged car.

Yeah but the seller didn't say he replaced anything.. apart from the saddle and different tyres that are on it. Which at least shows its been ridden.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I know im just assuming the worst now but the power is all for the buyer with ebay. So he will end up regretting it if there is damage.
I’d be reluctant to buy or sell anything of value on eBay that didn’t involve inspection / collection. It’s just not worth the bother of dealing with time wasters.

i'll have to get my local bike shop to go over it with a fine tooth comb for wear
They will find wear however old it is - it’s a secondhand bike. What did you expect from a bike described as “used”? You always need to be prepared to replace consumable items.

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

Another thing is he said its a 30 speed bike when the bike is a 22 speed unless hes changed the cassette.

vickster

Legendary Member
Another thing is he said its a 30 speed bike when the bike is a 22 speed unless hes changed the cassette.
Don’t think 22 speed existed in 2011. The Bikelist spec says 20 speed. 30 = triple so would have needed a new crankset (3 chainrings) and left hand shifter (maybe he did change, can you see the number of chainrings in the photos?)

Reactions: C R

T4tomo

Legendary Member
He is lying in the description he said originally costed £2500 a few years ago.. When its 10-11 years old unless he bought second hand full retail which is very unlikely. I have grounds for full refund based on that alone I think. Let alone if theres damage or wear that wasn't specified.

'If the item you received arrived damaged, doesn't match the listing description, or if it's the wrong item, you're covered under the eBay Money Back Guarantee. You can return it even if the seller's returns policy says they don't accept returns.'
Utter bollox, he's not lying, he didn't claim to have paid 2.5k - he said originally costing i.e RRP

A few years could easily include 10. 2 years is a couple, a few is indeterminate... if you wanted to know exactly how old it was you should have asked a direct question.

its 6700 ultegra, its not like its the old flight-deck with external cables (which shift beautifully but look a bit old fashioned now).

PROVIDED there is no frame damage, which you have to assume thee isn't as he hasn't disclosed any (if there is then ebay will protect you) you've got a decent bike.

you can clearly see its 3X10 in the ebay picture ^_^

Synapse is was endurance /sportive bike, which came in double or triple spec's.

Last edited:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

Your right it is a triple I do actually like triples my other bike is a triple. Some big hills here. Time will tell if it was a good deal. Buyer beware as they say. Thanks for all your input. I should have done my due diligence.
If it was me and I had as many doubts as you do I would just cancel it rather than waiting for it to arrive then have the hassle of arguing your case and returning the bike etc.
I have tried to cancel I contacted the seller this morning but think parcel force have it. As the tracking code says.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I should have done my due diligence.
I hope it works out well for you rather than being an expensive learning opportunity :okay:

Your right it is a triple I do actually like triples my other bike is a triple. Some big hills here. Time will tell if it was a good deal. Buyer beware as they say. Thanks for all your input. I should have done my due diligence.

I have tried to cancel I contacted the seller this morning but think parcel force have it. As the tracking code says.
Yeah hope it works out, plenty of older bikes on Ebay whose owners just 'never got into it' :okay:

He said when he originally bought it a few years ago not 10. Where would this bike be for sale at full £2500 price new two years ago they don't make them anymore.

That's the stroke of genius. What "a few years" means may differ from one person to another. For you it's 2-3 years...for him it's 9-10.

If that's your biggest argument in case you want to get a refund (should you need to)....good luck with that :laugh:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Not sure age really matters that much. A well looked after modestly used 10 year old bike is going to be in better nick that Bradley Wiggins' 2 year old training bike that's done 50,000 hard miles.

Strikes me that none of the issues you may have with the bike are anything of the seller's making.

He's not lying in the description, it is a 30-speed (and sign me up for a 15-speed cassette when you get one!) and it did originally cost £2,500.

My feeling is that you'd be relying on the seller's goodwill to cancel the transaction successfully through eBay: you're essentially asking them to unwind a lot of effort in listing, packing and shipping the item on the basis of what is, at least until the parcel arrives, buyer's remorse.

From the pictures, it looks like a cracking bike and as he's accepted your best offier that should, in theory, be a price you're both happy with! :rolleyes:

My main summer bike is a 2018 Synapse.
Cost me £2,200 new.
It's a super bike. Rides well, handles well and I can do 100 hilly miles on it with no problem.
£800 for that particular one? Given the demand for bikes it is a sellers market.
There is no indication that frame or forks are in any way defective. Everything else is subject to either wear and tear or rider preference. I ride different wheels and saddle.

Can't see that OP has much to complain about.

Baldy

Über Member
When is the bike scheduled to arrive? Surely until you actually see it you have no idea whether it's good or bad. Maybe you should wait until then before you start panicking about being ripped off.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom