Bought a new bike was I hoodwinked?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Given the current state of the second hand market, I wouldn't say you've been hoodwinked. If it's in good condition then it will still be a cracking bike, you certainly couldn't buy a new one as good and get much change from 2 grand.

The second hand market is a bit of a minefield though at the moment as a result of COVID related shortages, for example a couple of years ago I bought a second hand alloy road bike for £300, currently a lower specced model from a year earlier has a starting bid of £600 on ebay right now, and they both have alloy frames.

So I'd say the price is probably reasonable for right now assuming the bike and frame are in good condition. Very nice bike though :okay:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
There’s nothing you can do if the frame is damaged, any manufacturers warranty, if it’s a lifetime frame warranty with Cannondale? stays with the original owner and is non transferable.

£800 in the current market is a fair price. I think you may be worrying over nothing, Carbon is far stronger than you think so ride and enjoy.

Just to add, it does look as though that model did have an original RRP of £2500.
793232FE-1F51-477E-8FB8-1DFBB45D1C1E.jpeg

Last edited:
I think 800 is a bit too steep for a 10 years old bike especially if combined with the risk of the carbon fork and frame to be damaged.

Ask for a video where he goes through the bike VEEEERY slowly so you can get a glimpse of the state of the frame. Needs to have good lighting. If he says no, that should clears your doubts.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I think 800 is a bit too steep for a 10 years old bike especially if combined with the risk of the carbon fork and frame to be damaged.

Ask for a video where he goes through the bike VEEEERY slowly so you can get a glimpse of the state of the frame. Needs to have good lighting. If he says no, that should clears your doubts.
He's already bought the bike, so too late for a video.

For that model 800 if it's in good nick is not overly expensive given the state of the market over the last year or so.

The bike needs to given a close inspection now that he has it for wear and tear and any damage.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have no idea if a bike like that is worth the money or not. However getting any bike these days seems to be getting harder and harder so as said, if it is in great condition then perhaps not a bad price. As for what you can do if There is damage, the simple answer is nothing. Buy second hand then like anything else you may well be buying someone else's problem hence the reason they might be selling it. Buyer beware as they say.

Its not funny though to feel that you have wasted that much money.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It looks like a nice bike and I hope you enjoy it. As for the price? At £800 for a ten year old bike I think you've been hoodwinked -£300 perhaps? I recently paid £400, to a friend, for a 2017 CAAD10 which was originally £1800 according to Google. It was fully serviced, new cables, new chain, blocks and tyres plus I know the guy well.

Speaking for myself I wouldn't give £800 to a stranger for anything.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The market is silly at the moment and people are paying over the odds. I would say it's not a bad price if the bike is in a good condition.

It's all right when people 'pay' not a lot to a friend for a bike, that's totally different - I paid £300 for a £2.5k MTB from a friend, and all it needed was a really good clean and a full service (a days work). Open market now, would probably be nearer £1k.

raggydoll

Über Member
Sounds like the seller didn't want to say that the bike is 10 years old as he knew it would bring the perceived price of the bike down.

He should have been more up front and said it was £2500 when it was new in 2011.
Rather than...a few years ago.

Not technically lying but I think he purposely didn't let on how old the bike is.
Personally that would make me think he was being sneaky but others may not be so suspicious.

£2500 was the rrp but there are so many deals on bikes. He could even have bought it a year or 2 later for less....or even bought it 2nd hand himself.

On top of that it is buying a used 10 year old carbon bike that you don't know how it has been treated. It could be absolutely fine or it could have been crashed etc. Without a proper inspection you don't know.

Then you have general wear and tear.
I would personally worry about things like:
Rim brakes - 10 years of braking - how are the rims? Will I need new rims or wheels?
Drive train - will I need to get a new cassette? new chain? new chainrings?
Those things will obviously add to the cost.

I learned the hard way before. Buying a 2nd hand bike and not knowing what to look for and had to spend a bit of money replacing components that had worn out....probably why the seller got rid.

In the end I could have bought a new bike for around the same price!
Doh!

vickster

Legendary Member
Not necessarily if a sight unseen eBay purchase?
Do you have the bike, or is it on its way? If not, just pull out of the sale If not happy. Otherwise, you could have a good buy, 11 years isn’t actually that old for a bike even a carbon one Especially if it’s been cared for and/or lightly used

Last edited:
He's already bought the bike, so too late for a video.

Big risk, but good for him. As always, the golden rule is that you shouldn't spend money you can't afford to lose; so hopefully this is the case too. Again, good for him.

I recently bought a bike second hand and paid retail price -250 quid, but:
- the bike was 1 year old, not 10
- I was able to go and view in person to make sure it was in pristine conditions, which it is

I guess that just makes me less of a risk taker :laugh:

Top Bottom