Bought another bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Downward

Guru
jimboalee said:
Years ago, there was a cyclist in Birmingham who was hit by a bus. The cyclist's leg was permanently disfigured, so much so that he couldn't work or ride a bicycle again.
The bus company supplied him with a new Trike every three years until the chap passed away.
The chap's hobby changed from racing bicycles to following the bus routes on his trike.

There's another piece of totally useless information to waste the memory capacity of Admin's server.

Same guy that used to ride down the Aston Expressway by chance.

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

Downward said:
Same guy that used to ride down the Aston Expressway by chance.

That's quite insolent.

The chap in question rode in the seventies when the No. 176 ran between Birmingham Bus station and Solihull Railway station via Coventry Rd and the Wheatsheaf.

He would ride 40 miles a day, every day, with a disfigured leg that only had half the normal muscles in it.

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

Tyres, tubes, pedals, mudguards and bar-ends cost me another £90.

I couldn't have made a bike like that out of seperately purchased frame and components for £290.

I'm well chuffed.

It rides a treat.
The five highest gears; 42T ring to 11,13,15,18 and 21 are all I've used so far, including Liverage Hill ( 10% steepest ) back from Henley in Arden this morning.

Handlebars strangly wide... 24" tip to tip...;)

Mudguards work well.

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

Garz said:
Frame size jimbo?

You might be interested to hear that I have the old Halfords Apollo County back.

It was taken over some 'rough stuff' ( traffic calming 'rumble strips' ) and a spoke broke.

It's 20 1/2" ( 52cm ) BB - top.

This one, however, won't be a 'free giveaway'.

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

Garz said:
Drop or flat bar jimbo?

Don't you remember the photo?

Metallic green, colour coded mudguards and chainguard, Schwalbe M+ 26 x 1 3/8" boots, steel rims, sprung saddle, Sturmey 3 speed, steel brake calipers and steel brake levers, leather faced brake blocks, rubber block pedals, black rubber handle grips and FLAT BARS.

OP
OP
J

jimboalee

Used the 24 x 32 ( 18" ) gear in anger last evening.

There is a 20% hill called Sun Rising Hill going up Edge Hill in North Oxfordshire.

The sign at the top says 16%, the map says it's 18%. I measured it at 20% steepest on the curve.

Garmin data says 3.7 mph thereabouts; PowerCalc says 320 Watts for that speed on an 18% grade.

It took 12 minutes to get from bottom to top.
If I look up on the NASA curves to 12 mins at 320 Watts, I'm a 'Healthy man' :biggrin:

I'd been training in the gym by cranking the upright bike up to 325 Watts and riding it for 5 minute intervals alternating with 125 Watts.

Last evening, the real ride up the real hill felt a lot easier although it was for double the time interval....

Top Bottom