bought my bike today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stu9000

Hi all,
Yes another ridiculously excited newbie with a new bike. DETERMINED not to be one of those that just let it sit in the garage. snow or not I will be getting out there.

I was invited to sign up for the Ride London 100 by my bro in law. Said yes on a whim and am really glad i did. Thanks bro. Not ridden for years but loved it as a teen. recently i have been bombing around on an old mtb. Turns out its quicker than the car for many a short trip. We are mad the way we all just sit in traffic. The mtb is okay for sainsburys but if I'm gonna do 100 miles in under 9 hours a more serious bit of kit is needed.

Weeks of research later it turns out I'm a lucky sod. I drove to decathlon to get some advice and they have just got in their new stock of Triban 3s. I'd read the rave reviews and the bike felt great so i didnt hesitate. Spending more just didn't make sense. Maybe, when I've proved myself, I could upgrade, but Im guessing this one will be fine for some time to come.

Im 42 and fairly healthy, but not getting enough exercise and im putting on a bit. 13 stone is the heaviest I've ever been. I think my metabolism is changing. I don't want to take my health for granted and cycling seemed a good way to get out and get the blood moving. As opposed to sitting on the sofa drinking too much red wine.

My commute is about 35 miles round trip but my place of work is on the 2nd highest hill in Surrey so I probably need to build up to it. multi map says it would take well over an hour. But what great training, time management, and think of the money saved on fuel. so that's my goal, to get quick enough to commute up that hill to work in under an hour. Then to do the London100 quicker than my bro in law on his carbon super bike;)

Cheers all

Thanks for all the advice and see you out there

Cyclist33

good choice of bike and look forward to the photos and bragging rights!

cheers

stu

ps, 17.5 miles in under an hour going up a hill would be pretty impressive, dont be ashamed if it takes you longer.

paul04

Über Member
Welcome to the website.
Maybe you could ride the bike to work on a saturday or sunday when the roads are quiet, get a feel for the bike. take your time. and where you lose speed on the hill you will gain in other places.

kedab

Veteran
:welcome:

OP
OP
stu9000

stu9000

17.5 miles in under an hour going up a hill would be pretty impressive, dont be ashamed if it takes you longer.
yes, I was thinking that too. Might take a while. But I will head over there on a weekend just to see how killer that hill really is.

As for photos, ive got her muddy already!! But I'll sort some out soon. Cheers

Top Bottom