1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bow Flyover Westbound- New Traffic Scheme

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by spen666, 30 Jul 2007.

1. spen666

spen666 Guru

Anyone cycle into london via this route.

It used to be a 2 lane flyover. Now the "experimental" traffic management scheme has the outside lane coned off/ solid white line painted etc.

This means that there is only one lane to all traffic. Cars can't pullout to overtake cyclists going up it so instead fly past inches from cyclists (if you are lucky!)

Anyone know what the idea of reducing the capacity of the flyover is or why they did not provide a cycle lane and a single carriageway for the traffic?

Anyone know if this is a TfL project or local council one ( if council- which one?) I think its time we raised oobjections before it becomes a permanent scheme

2. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

I'll guess and say they want to calm it down by making it single lane

that or the flyover can't take the strain of two lanes of vehicles

and no consideration for cycles natch

3. OP
    OP
    spen666

spen666 Guru

no commuters from East London then?

4. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

badlands

Chingford/Walthamstow is as East as I go other than for football

5. OP
    OP
    spen666

spen666 Guru

Thats too far north

6. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

for you perhaps, it suits me just fine

7. cupoftea

cupoftea New Member

I use that everyday, it's a pain in the a£4e

I'm not telling you to RLJ, but if you did at the lights before......you'd find that you get to flyover without any taffic, in addition you'll be able to pull into the middle lane earlier and then get the speed up to climb the flyover at a fair speed getting you over safely.

Put this

8. OP
    OP
    spen666

spen666 Guru

I find the opposite- I don't jump the lights and usually get into middle lane after traffic and get up flyover before next lot get to me

which council is responsible for it?

9. yorkshiregoth

yorkshiregoth Master of all he surveys

I think it may have something to do with the 2012 Olympics. I heard that they were going to put a dedicated traffic lane in place only for use by Olympic staff, athletes etc.

10. OP
    OP
    spen666

spen666 Guru

5 years early and it only covers part of the flyover- it neither goes to/ from the olympic site - if they have decided where it is yet

11. cupoftea

cupoftea New Member

I find it odd that there "testing" it during the holiday session

12. yorkshiregoth

yorkshiregoth Master of all he surveys

If they are indeed testing then they can claim that traffic wasn't delayed etc etc. Just like rephasing of the traffic lights prior to the congestion charge being implemented.

13. OP
    OP
    spen666

spen666 Guru

I'd like to know what the "it" is they are testing and who is responsible for this scheme

14. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

WOW ! A dedicated lane for olympic staff, that should get at least 4 weeks use.

15. Big T

Big T Über Member

We have a similar flyover on the Nottingham ring road at Dunkirk, but cyclists are banned from using it and have to take their chances on the roundabout underneath.