Bow Flyover Westbound- New Traffic Scheme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

Legendary Member
Anyone cycle into london via this route.

It used to be a 2 lane flyover. Now the "experimental" traffic management scheme has the outside lane coned off/ solid white line painted etc.

This means that there is only one lane to all traffic. Cars can't pullout to overtake cyclists going up it so instead fly past inches from cyclists (if you are lucky!)

Anyone know what the idea of reducing the capacity of the flyover is or why they did not provide a cycle lane and a single carriageway for the traffic?

Anyone know if this is a TfL project or local council one ( if council- which one?) I think its time we raised oobjections before it becomes a permanent scheme

Tynan

Veteran
I'll guess and say they want to calm it down by making it single lane

that or the flyover can't take the strain of two lanes of vehicles

and no consideration for cycles natch

cupoftea

I use that everyday, it's a pain in the a£4e

I'm not telling you to RLJ, but if you did at the lights before......you'd find that you get to flyover without any taffic, in addition you'll be able to pull into the middle lane earlier and then get the speed up to climb the flyover at a fair speed getting you over safely.

Put this

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
cupoftea said:
I use that everyday, it's a pain in the a£4e

I'm not telling you to RLJ, but if you did at the lights before......you'd find that you get to flyover without any taffic, in addition you'll be able to pull into the middle lane earlier and then get the speed up to climb the flyover at a fair speed getting you over safely.

Put this

I find the opposite- I don't jump the lights and usually get into middle lane after traffic and get up flyover before next lot get to me

which council is responsible for it?

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
I think it may have something to do with the 2012 Olympics. I heard that they were going to put a dedicated traffic lane in place only for use by Olympic staff, athletes etc.

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
yorkshiregoth said:
I think it may have something to do with the 2012 Olympics. I heard that they were going to put a dedicated traffic lane in place only for use by Olympic staff, athletes etc.

5 years early and it only covers part of the flyover- it neither goes to/ from the olympic site - if they have decided where it is yet

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
If they are indeed testing then they can claim that traffic wasn't delayed etc etc. Just like rephasing of the traffic lights prior to the congestion charge being implemented.

OP
OP
spen666

spen666

Legendary Member
cupoftea said:
I find it odd that there "testing" it during the holiday session

I'd like to know what the "it" is they are testing and who is responsible for this scheme

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
yorkshiregoth said:
WOW ! A dedicated lane for olympic staff, that should get at least 4 weeks use.

Big T

Guru
We have a similar flyover on the Nottingham ring road at Dunkirk, but cyclists are banned from using it and have to take their chances on the roundabout underneath.

Top Bottom