Brace yourself!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
a) There is no such proposal, not even if you confuse litres and gallons.
b) Fuel rises are a Good Thing. Use less.

To be fair, he didn't say who the greedy bastards were. It's not so much a proposal as a widely written about piece in the papers and news over the weekend. This is because of oil prices and what the RMI said and by a series of chinese whispers became other things to some other people. And litres is correct, whether you take it seriously or not, is upto you.

Berties

Fast and careful!
AFAIK the money raised from tax on fuel goes into the general pot and is spent as our leaders see fit. There's no pretence that it's all spent on facilities for motorists.

If tax on petrol was reduced then the money would have to be raised elsewhere.

General pot,cop out!,we are trying to clear debts of past government overspending,putting 10p of duty on petrol effects every one,food costs to travel costs,soon be running out of things to tax,reports show how much fuel is at source this week,makes me want to cry how much,the government wants to keep piling on,
so my kids bus pass went up 8% to £1480 so i then have to charge more for my time,and so on,but at least the government can take more tax:wacko:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
As a teenager and then a student in the 70s, I took everything around me for granted... petrol 35p/gallon, free bus pass to school, no tuition fees, LEA maintenance grant, reclaimable return train tickets to university every term, no charge for medical prescriptions. 101 things that we just got that we pay for now.... Life teaches you that nothing's ever for nothing- but, naively, it seemed so at the time. How far back would we have to go to have avoided the resulting financial mess the world's in now?

A case in point:
2003 Zafira fuel pump: £850 for refurbished unit with me fitting myself.
1994 Bmw 750i fuel pump: £73 for new unit with me fitting myself.

And yes, the beemer sucks on fuel economy at 16mpg. :wacko:
Think thats a lot? Replacement common rail injection pump for a ships engine £12,000. It uses a bit more fuel than your beemer too.
And I think I'm doing very well if I get circa 25mpg from the Alfa

putting 10p of duty on petrol effects every one
Its not a duty rise being reported but a rise in wholesale price. Tax of course will rise in proportion of course as it's what - 60% of pump price?

Serviced distribution rail hubs with local electric vehicle cargo cycle deliveries, get rid of the 40 tonne artics.... way to go!
I want to see Arch hauling bricks!

Night Train

Maker of Things
Looking forward to when I don't need to buy building supplies soon and I can replace the van with one of those.
I use a diesel estate car that returns 70mpg and I tow a trailer when I need to get building materials. It gives me the best of both worlds for what I need.
I want to see Arch hauling bricks!
That can probably be organised one day in the not too distant future.^_^

I did read tax returns from fuel have been diminishing in the uk ... a lot.
Reason being is everyone is switching to cars with better m.p.g or other modes of transport.

AFAIK the money raised from tax on fuel goes into the general pot and is spent as our leaders see fit. There's no pretence that it's all spent on facilities for motorists.

If tax on petrol was reduced then the money would have to be raised elsewhere.

If I was to be cynical some of that money goes into the politics ("aid", be it military or otherwise) given to countries which helps to secure the oil supply or military intervention. We then pay tax on :whistle:.

Of course if we dropped the oil we'd all be in the poo as our existence appears to be dependent on it so you pays your taxes. I'll keep commuting by bike and drive when I have to.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I did read tax returns from fuel have been diminishing in the uk ... a lot.
Reason being is everyone is switching to cars with better m.p.g or other modes of transport.
Windows... and glazed patio doors... they'll be taxed next.
You'd think there was a war on... any bets on Syria by Christmas?

A case in point:
2003 Zafira fuel pump: £850 for refurbished unit with me fitting myself.
1994 Bmw 750i fuel pump: £73 for new unit with me fitting myself.

They are built to slightly different standards though; a petrol fuel pump will deliver a maximum somewhere around 1.4 bar (22psi), even if a high pressure one; whilst, a diesel pump is delivering a maximum of around 1450 bar (21,000psi).

They are built to slightly different standards though; a petrol fuel pump will deliver a maximum somewhere around 1.4 bar (22psi), even if a high pressure one; whilst, a diesel pump is delivering a maximum of around 1450 bar (21,000psi).

Actually 43psi on the beemer. :whistle:

I'm sure modern petrol engines are joining the diesels when it comes to costing and arm and a leg for repairs though due
to the complexity of the "bits outside the engine".
Whats all that with audi/volkswagon strapping superchargers and turbos and direct fuel injection on to what is essentially
a tiny lawnmower engine in their cars. :eek:

Top Bottom