Brad Wiggins 2012 TDF - Best ever British Sporting Achievement?

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by Dags11, 21 Jul 2012.

1. Dags11

Dags11 Active Member

Chris Hoy thinks so, it certainly knocks Torvill & Dean into a cocked hat.

Can you guys think of a better achievement.........

2. MattHB

MattHB Proud Daddy

He's not won it yet!

asterix likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Dags11

Dags11 Active Member

A fiver he does....

4. if Sir Chris thinks so, then it must be true...

5. Mad Doug Biker

Mad Doug Biker Bikeoholics Anonymous

Sir Steve Redgrave comes to mind for messing about in some boats once apon a time.....

6. raindog

raindog er.....

What about the lass who sailed single handed round the world? Was it Helen McArthur or something? I thought that was pretty exceptional.

EDIT
    Ellen MacArthur it was - and she's from Derbyshire into the bargain. :smile:

7. ohnovino

ohnovino Large Member

Just had a look a past Sport Personality of the Year winners for ideas, but nobody stands out as better than Wiggins.

BTW, did you know that in the year Bannister broke the four-minute mile barrier he came second in SPOTY behind one of his pacemakers?!

8. Ajay

Ajay Veteran

I'd say so.
    I can only think of Linford winning gold in Barcelona to put in the same bracket.
    Both iconic events with genuine worldwide competition.

9. swansonj

swansonj Guru

There must be a difference between best single achievement (eg Bannister) and best sustained series of achievements (eg Redgrave). With Wiggins, there are some people who are acclaiming him mainly just for the single achievement of winning the TdF (which presumably would be less noteworthy if Britain's previous record in the TdF was more similar to France, Spain, Italy etc), and others for the sustained achievement of (to summarise) winning the TdF after winning 6 Olympic medals.

Mad Doug Biker likes this.
  10. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Shergar winning the horse hide-and-seek competition for 39 years in a row

11. Mad Doug Biker

Neptune Collonges for being the first Grey to win the National since 1960 or whatever it was! :biggrin:

12. OP
    OP
    Dags11

Dags11 Active Member

No probs in who would pick up the comedy award......

13. Mad Doug Biker

For me, it is, without a doubt, Sir Steve. In terms of sustained period of time at the top, few people will ever even dream of coming close to him. He is a living legend!

There are the other categories though, and undoubtedly Bannister et al will corner their own.

Norm and Boris Bajic like this.
  14. Boris Bajic

Boris Bajic Guest

Wiggins is quite a rider and the team around him are unbelievably good. I am slack-jawed in my admiration of him, even as one of the gainsayers who thought he'd never win a TdF. He seems to have the job done and I find that exraordinary and wonderful.

I find it hard to compare achievement between disciplines and decades, but these are some names:

I recall the absolute domination of Coe and Ovett in 800, 1500 and Mile over a number of years. Cram and others came in on the end of that surge of fantastitude, but Coe and Ovett seemed somehow capable of hoovering up titles and records at will in what are some of the blue ribband track distances.

After many years of injuries at unfortunate times, I found Kelly Holmes' twin golds in the same Games quite a stunner. Most would have quit by then.

From the world of motorsport, I have a great regard for Barry Sheene and also Dave Thorpe.

Thorpe took several World titles in a sport hardly covered by UK media but hugely popular in France, Belgium, Italy, Spain and elsewhere.... which sounds uncannily familiar to many a cycling fan. I saw him ride in a one-off event while living in France many years ago and he was greeted like some sort of deity by the crowd. Back here, he'd have gone unnoticed.

User17224 likes this.
  15. Durian

Durian Über Member

I would go for Steve Redgrave aswell. Winning gold in five different Olympic Games and in such a tough sport.

Mad Doug Biker likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice