Brad Wiggins 2012 TDF - Best ever British Sporting Achievement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
He's not won it yet!

Ajay

Veteran
I'd say so.
I can only think of Linford winning gold in Barcelona to put in the same bracket.
Both iconic events with genuine worldwide competition.

swansonj

Guru
There must be a difference between best single achievement (eg Bannister) and best sustained series of achievements (eg Redgrave). With Wiggins, there are some people who are acclaiming him mainly just for the single achievement of winning the TdF (which presumably would be less noteworthy if Britain's previous record in the TdF was more similar to France, Spain, Italy etc), and others for the sustained achievement of (to summarise) winning the TdF after winning 6 Olympic medals.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
There must be a difference between best single achievement (eg Bannister) and best sustained series of achievements (eg Redgrave). With Wiggins, there are some people who are acclaiming him mainly just for the single achievement of winning the TdF (which presumably would be less noteworthy if Britain's previous record in the TdF was more similar to France, Spain, Italy etc), and others for the sustained achievement of (to summarise) winning the TdF after winning 6 Olympic medals.

For me, it is, without a doubt, Sir Steve. In terms of sustained period of time at the top, few people will ever even dream of coming close to him. He is a living legend!

There are the other categories though, and undoubtedly Bannister et al will corner their own.

Wiggins is quite a rider and the team around him are unbelievably good. I am slack-jawed in my admiration of him, even as one of the gainsayers who thought he'd never win a TdF. He seems to have the job done and I find that exraordinary and wonderful.

I find it hard to compare achievement between disciplines and decades, but these are some names:

I recall the absolute domination of Coe and Ovett in 800, 1500 and Mile over a number of years. Cram and others came in on the end of that surge of fantastitude, but Coe and Ovett seemed somehow capable of hoovering up titles and records at will in what are some of the blue ribband track distances.

After many years of injuries at unfortunate times, I found Kelly Holmes' twin golds in the same Games quite a stunner. Most would have quit by then.

From the world of motorsport, I have a great regard for Barry Sheene and also Dave Thorpe.

Thorpe took several World titles in a sport hardly covered by UK media but hugely popular in France, Belgium, Italy, Spain and elsewhere.... which sounds uncannily familiar to many a cycling fan. I saw him ride in a one-off event while living in France many years ago and he was greeted like some sort of deity by the crowd. Back here, he'd have gone unnoticed.

Top Bottom