Brad Wiggins 2012 TDF - Best ever British Sporting Achievement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
I'd say so.
I can only think of Linford winning gold in Barcelona to put in the same bracket.
Both iconic events with genuine worldwide competition.

I never realised that Linford had any sporting prowess. He's never mentioned it on here!

Anyway, I'd like to nominate Daley Thompson the supreme decathlete. A runner, thrower and jumper..

OP
OP
Dags11

Dags11

It might be said that Eddie ran solo as a charity participant, whereas Brad competed as a professional with the elite of cycling in its premier event.....and won for the record books

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It might, or might not be the greatest British sporting achievement, but come 5 o clock(touchwood) our sport,hobby,pastime,means of transport etc will be the headlines on national television!:ohmy: I've watched the Tour of France from the days of the great Eddie Merckx always wishing for, but never really expecting, that Brit on the middle of the podium, even just on the podium would do for me!! We have non cycling folk out there talking of the tour and BW like once of a day they'd talk about football or motor racing. This achievement will be up there amongst the greatest, and it's been done by a man who seems surprised, even overwhelmed that he's the one to have been chosen!
I will shed a few tears when he steps up onto the podium to the sound of his/our national anthem, and be satisfied that i was around when one of ours won the greatest bike race in the world!!!:wahhey:

Noodley

Okay, what about Joe Johnson winning the world snooker chamionship?

He'd never held a cue until the week before and only got to play because he turned up in a smart 3-piece suit on a day when Tony Drago didn't make it back from the dry cleaners.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1945452, member: 76"]How about a 15 times World Champion? 11 of them won consecutively? Phil Taylor[/quote]

Respect to a 4000+ messenger:surrender: , but dare i suggest that Phil Taylor's ahem! "physique" gives one the impression that throwing darts at a board doesn't require much physical effort? Therefore it's not really a "sporting" achievement!:blush:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Respect to a 4000+ messenger:surrender: , but dare i suggest that Phil Taylor's ahem! "physique" gives one the impression that throwing darts at a board doesn't require much physical effort? Therefore it's not really a "sporting" achievement!:blush:

"Oh dear, you may have just bought the whole 'What is a sport?' thing into the debate, this could run"...

Good,let the debate begin!:cheers:..and as for the snooker one...!:laugh: :thumbsup:

Top Bottom