Brad Wiggins 2012 TDF - Best ever British Sporting Achievement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
A lot of people are talking about multiple events, but didn't Chris Hoy really mean a one-off achievement? That's how I heard it, and he has a point. Winning an olympic gold, a golf major, the world cup... all seem less impressive than winning the Tour de France, IMHO.
I also heard it to mean a one-off.
So compare it with Beryl beating Mike McNamara, or Bob Beamon's iconic long jump (for British, perhaps Seb Coe's 800m record that stood for many years)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
We can dismiss one of those immediately. The one whose medals are thin on the ground (one silver in the World Champs and one gold in the Commonwealths but no Olympic medals) but whose wins in events attracting money are far more numerous. The one who has no trouble setting records where ££££ is concerned but doesn't seem to want to do it where the nation might benefit. The one who lives as a tax exile so s/he can avoid paying the Inland Revenue any pesky tax. Yes, that one.
fair point, but nine years on her record still stands

Doseone

Guru
I think what Wiggins has achieved is amazing, really really amazing. But greatest British sporting achievement?....that's a tough one. It's really difficult to compare, it's like when a boxer does well and he is always asked would you have beaten (insert name of a good boxer from the past here) - who knows. The comparison is fun to make but largely irrelevant.

But if we are talking about great British sporting achievements then Chrissie Wellington surely needs a mention^_^ .

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'd put Wiggins at number 2 in the UK's all time cyclists. No. 1 being Beryl Burton. As for the rest.......Bobby Moore and Lester Piggott stand out.
Beryl Burton the best Female cyclist (I'd go for Nicole Cook as the standard of women's cycling was dire when BB rode - my club were involved in it) but as she would not be able to compete with the male pros she would not be the best ever.

PaulB

Legendary Member
fair point, but nine years on her record still stands
Okay, that being the case then, the longevity of records by Ron Hill and Geoff Capes brings them into the equation. Both are still on the top ten lists of British athletes TODAY! Now that takes some doing, I'll warrant.

Linford

In relation to fuel combustion achievments - 4/2 wheels - It might be said that Wiggo is the driver & the engine

Are you suggesting that people who compete at top level have no requirement for endurance fitness ? . A local rider to me does much of his training on a roadie . His name is Scott Redding. If you had spent any time on the track on a motorbike you would appreciate this. They are very physically demanding.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I think something that makes Steve Redgrave's achievements even more impressive is that he's a type 1 diabetic. Similarly Paula Radcliff has asthma and manages to win marathons.

I think Wiggins is amazing (and pretty hot if he gained a few kilos :whistle:) but I'm afraid Sir Steve gets my vote for best achievement . . . . . so far.

Davidc

Guru
I don't like the concept of comparing very different achievements in a league table, but view those who overcome mental barricades as special.

Roger Bannister overcame the block created by a widespread belief that it was impossible to run a mile in under 4 minutes. Bradley Wiggins has just overcome the mental block caused by 98 consecutive failures to get a Briton winning the TdF. More of those mentioned above are in this category.

Celebrate the win, and see what comes next!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Are you suggesting that people who compete at top level have no requirement for endurance fitness ? . A local rider to me does much of his training on a roadie . His name is Scott Redding. If you had spent any time on the track on a motorbike you would appreciate this. They are very physically demanding.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

You know perfectly well that Surtees was very much regarded as the inferior driver compared to his two great mates and compatriots Clark and Hill with regards 4 wheels. Surtees's achievement remains literally that an achievement and a very interesting one at that. We'll never know how good he was because like many other drivers throughout history he fell out with Ferrari and didn't win a second title (Black Jack did instead). But most of the British Formula 1 world champions were more interesting characters than was made out in the history books.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Beryl Burton the best Female cyclist (I'd go for Nicole Cook as the standard of women's cycling was dire when BB rode - my club were involved in it) but as she would not be able to compete with the male pros she would not be the best ever.
SJ - Beryl Burton consistently beat all the men. Have you not heard the humbug story?

mr Mag00

rising member
and no one has mentoned the prevous tour races wiggins has won this year which todate no one else has and then won the TDF too. there is no doubt he is up there with the best for sustained effort alone over 3 weeks.

Top Bottom