Brad Wiggins 2012 TDF - Best ever British Sporting Achievement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dags11

Dags11

For me, the best in motorsport has to be John Surtees.

Wiki - He was 500cc motorcycle World Champion in 1956 and 1958–60, Formula One World Champion in 1964, and remains the only person to have won World Championships on both two and four wheels.

That really is IMO some sort of incredible achievement to attain.
In relation to fuel combustion achievments - 4/2 wheels - It might be said that Wiggo is the driver & the engine

400bhp

Guru
Drug cheat.

Bollox

400bhp

Guru
He [Wiggo] is up there in a very small group of sportsmen.

Whether he is at the top is likely to make this thread run for a long time. It's impossible to prove or disprove.

OP
OP
Dags11

Dags11

Maybe it's more about the achievment rather than the person, would you say the TDF ranks higher than darts, F1, snooker championships etc. instead of pitching Wiggo against Jenson Button etc?

I always dislike these types of accolade, as there are so many variables.

If you take theTdF as a one off then and then give Steve Redgrave the wasrd for the sustained performance over many yars then does that devalue the TdF

Equally treat the TdF as a more important even and do you devalue the sutaind sporting achievement of Steve Redgrave?

If Christopher Froome wins next year and has a greater margin over the second place, is that achievement greater or lesser than Bradley Wiggins?

What if Christopher Froome then wins the TdF twice - Does that devalue Wiggins' achievement this year?

Personally I feel it is very difficult to compare sports and sportsmen in this way.

strofiwimple

Veteran
Just a thought-does the persons personality come in to the equation?
I'm a cyclist but also (was) an "afalete", cricketer, fitba player and golfer, IMHO daley is /was a c**k also mr woods IS.
Mr Wiggins and Redgrave from all I can gather are good blokes-either one one gets my vote

Norm

I'd be disappointed if the "Best ever British sporting achievement" was any specific event. Much as the Tour has captured and captivated over the last few weeks, it's only one event. Winning over a series of events or over a longer period (such as Redgrave or Pendleton) are much better achievements, IMO, as was the stuff done by Paula Radcliffe, Rebecca Adlington, Jessica Ennis, Ben Ainslie and a host of cyclists (Hoy, Boardman, Cav etc). Wiggins himself has some pretty special achievements, not just switching from World Champion on track to road racing but winning the Dauphiné and Paris-Nice as well as the TdF this year...

Yeah, it's a huge thing that he has done today but it's just one thing and suggesting it is the best ever by a Brit is, IMO, belittling all those who achieved at a similar level so consistently over a number of years.

Also, as said above, it would be a little bit tragic IMO, if our best ever sporting achievement was to win it once when Armstrong has won it seven times.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I always dislike these types of accolade, as there are so many variables.

If you take theTdF as a one off then and then give Steve Redgrave the wasrd for the sustained performance over many yars then does that devalue the TdF

Equally treat the TdF as a more important even and do you devalue the sutaind sporting achievement of Steve Redgrave?

If Christopher Froome wins next year and has a greater margin over the second place, is that achievement greater or lesser than Bradley Wiggins?

What if Christopher Froome then wins the TdF twice - Does that devalue Wiggins' achievement this year?

Personally I feel it is very difficult to compare sports and sportsmen in this way.

Yes, what I said originally was that there are different categories for things, it is impossible to give a diffinitive answer.
Sir Steve is certainly up there, yes, but then, how do you compare someone like Roger Bannister against him? You can't. What they did was so different from each other!

Also, yes, it is a constantly evolving and fluid situation, and I hope that one day someone beats Sir Steve's record, etc etc.

Totally OT, but my wife was Barry Sheene's bodyguard at Silverstone one year when she worked fro Securicor.

So, who wears the trousers in your house then? :laugh:

swansonj

Guru
Interesting comparisons with formula 1. Not least because both are won by individuals but an individual can usually only win if they are in one of the best teams and have that team working for them. I remember the excitement when, in turn, each of Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill and Lewis Hamilton won their championships. But I wonder how much more the excitement would have been in each case if no Brit had ever won it before?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'd put Wiggins at number 2 in the UK's all time cyclists. No. 1 being Beryl Burton. As for the rest.......Bobby Moore and Lester Piggott stand out.

PaulB

Legendary Member
as was the stuff done by Paula Radcliffe, Rebecca Adlington, Jessica Ennis, Ben Ainslie and a host of cyclists (Hoy, Boardman, Cav etc).

We can dismiss one of those immediately. The one whose medals are thin on the ground (one silver in the World Champs and one gold in the Commonwealths but no Olympic medals) but whose wins in events attracting money are far more numerous. The one who has no trouble setting records where ££££ is concerned but doesn't seem to want to do it where the nation might benefit. The one who lives as a tax exile so s/he can avoid paying the Inland Revenue any pesky tax. Yes, that one.

Top Bottom