Bradford-Halifax Tunnel Cycleway Campaign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Filling it in may actually be illegal. Meaning Bradford Council will be breaking the law closing it off this way.
It'a GNR bylaw, which would take an act of parliment to overturn, to allow the tunnel to be blocked permantly

classic33

Leg End Member
They've raised the "line" into the tunnel, above the level of the drain on the left-hand side. As well as clearing the drain itself.

A temporary surface is in place for vehicles working on site. A wooden cross now stands on the left, just short of the tunnel entrance. Dedicated to the 10 men who lost their lives building the tunnel Highways England now want to close.
CAM01327.jpg

CAM01330.jpg

A view of what they've done so far/doing on inside.
CAM01328.jpg

Not quite certain where the system is drawing the air in. It's blowing it out just above the entrance.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
More shenanigans at the tunnel:

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Work scaled down at historic Queensbury Tunnel due to flooding caused by 'deliberate diversion' of water.
https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co...e-flooding-caused-deliberate-diversion-water/

Tizme

Veteran
Perhaps the councillors and Highways England should take a trip to Bath and have a look at the Two tunnels Circuit:
https://www.sustrans.org.uk/find-a-route-on-the-national-cycle-network/bath-two-tunnels-circuit/

And in particular the Combe Down Tunnel:
"The Combe Down Tunnel, at an impressive 1,672 metres, is just over one mile and is the UK's longest cycling and walking tunnel. Travelling through the Combe Down Tunnel for the first time is an incredible experience, heightened by the extraordinary audio-visual installation, ‘Passage’ by United Visual Artists. A Portrait Bench sits at the entrance of the Devonshire Tunnel. "

I have been through it several times and it really is a lovely tunnel, filled with music. I would imagine the Tea Shop and Pub on the route do a great trade from the number of people walking and cycling the route. It would be so short-sighted if the B-H Tunnel was blocked up.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, it is quite a while since I started reading this thread and didn't want to wade through it all again.

classic33

Leg End Member
Sustrans, the two local councils and a number of councillors don't want the tunnel reopened, but can't afford to say that for themselves.

And at present, it would take an act of parliment to overturn the act giving permission to actually create the tunnel. GNR would have to be involved in any closure talks.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm still trying to work out where those two air ducts, visible in the earlier pictures posted, are/were drawing air from. They're not part of the origional tunnel, too close to the station end for that.

Top Bottom