Bradley Wiggins calls for safer cycling laws and compulsory helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
In my case it was the professional opinion of the expert witness who gave evidence in the civil case.
That's just a different type of anecdote.

Civil law and the absolute unvarnished truth go together like Patrick Stevens and diversity officers. They may both exist in the same place at the same time, but it's a coincidence.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
Yep, as usual...wish I hadn't bothered. Deflection, counter argument nothing to do with my question. Great.

This argument against compulsion wasn't used much in my recent argument about speed limits! The law is the law seemed ok as an answer when I was questioning said law. It can't be both ways. I actually agree with you, fighting an incoming law is as 'just' as fighting an irrational law.

MarkF

Guru
Israel only has partial compulsion (under 18, on interurban roads and during races). Mexico repealed its law in 2010. Hungary doesn't have a mandatory helmet law (it has a mandatory hi-viz law in rural areas and during periods of reduced visibility).

To be fair, the mandatory helmet law is fairly widely ignored in Israel and Spain. I can't actually recall seeing a Spanish cyclist in a helmet (other than the be-Lycraed club riders). I've cycled in Spain sans helmet and it's never been an issue. I've never seen anyone Bicing in Barcelona with a helmet...

In Spain you have to wear a helmet unless you are riding in towns and cities, it's during periods of extreme heat or you are riding up steep hills, or you are a professional cyclist. ^_^ I've criss-crossed Spain and I've never worn or taken a helmet.

screenman

Legendary Member
User a bit more research would show you that he is also the head doctor on the Giro along with other races.

He may possibly have more knowledge about the subject than many internet forum experts.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I got the "glare" off Mrs Skud last night when she saw this article ! I do not like helmets even though i do own one, but making them compulsary would not reduce my riding in any way.One thing that should be at the top of the goverment agenda is more training for non-cyclist with a definate move towards cycle training as part of a driving test because no matter how many precautions i take,be it lights,helmets,correct placement on the road ect,the motorist still think they "own" the road and give little or no care around cyclist and other road users.Not all are bad,some are amazing in the way they take time and consideration to pass but then you only remember the bad ones don't you :sad:
I wear mine sometimes especially when it's pishing down because it keeps most of the rain out of my eyes :eek: and i wear it when i ride with the mini-me's until they can make their own minds up.
Bottom line i wear one when the conditions suit or i feel like it,no big deal as long as i can enjoy a ride

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Which if thats the bit we are talking about, then Im with you 100%

With respect, you are old to enough to remember the seat belt introduction, did you argue the same then, or was the evidence (as is now) a lot more cut and dry?
seat belts are manifestly a good idea, but I gave up on motorbikes when the helmet legislation came in (in '73?) - because it seemed to me that the fun had gone.

seat belts are manifestly a good idea, but I gave up on motorbikes when the helmet legislation came in (in '73?) - because it seemed to me that the fun had gone.

I am too young even to have sat on a motorcycle before 1973, but I often rode helmetless in the ex-Yugoslavia simply because I could. I was already a seasoned rider in western Europe and used to lids.

Even with goggles, helmetless in the rain is uncomfortable over about 40mph. This is a drawback.

To my surprise, I found that the 'wind in the hair' thing was amusing but not core to the quality of the experience. The joy was in rolling on and off the throttle and the whole cornering gubbins. Riding helmetless was funny in the way that I initially found cycling on fixed funny.

There is one time I found helmetless riding perfect: Coming back from the barber on a sunny day after a shave. Tingly bliss!

I'm too afraid to motorcycle any longer, but I'm glad I did when I did. The thought of jacking it in because of a hat makes me slightly sad.

What was this debate about?

Linford

Only one of the countries I mentioned needs to have a helmet law to prove the point. The rest is just nickpicking of no relevance.

Edit: Hungary requires you to wear a helmet if riding over 50kph but not if you keep under 40kph. Not sure whether its law or their equivalent of the HIghway Code

It is logical to then say anyone riding under 50kph. Should wear a cycle hat, and anyone who rides above it should wear a motorcyclists approved crash helmet.....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
^_^

I bet you went off sky diving when they introduced parachutes too?
starter for ten

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj3W9rt3GTE&feature=fvst
?

martint235

Dog on a bike
It is logical to then say anyone riding under 50kph. Should wear a cycle hat, and anyone who rides above it should wear a motorcyclists approved crash helmet.....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
I've missed a key point of logic somewhere obviously. Why would you wear a helmet designed to protect against 16kph impacts when you're going 3 times that speed?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I don't think there is much danger of legal compulsion for cycling any time soon, but only because people are willing to vocally refute the arguments of the pro-compulsionists. There really doesn't seem to be much political will or traction for helmet compulsion at the moment, but we should remain vigilant.

What bothers me is the compulsion for cycling events. There are hardly any sportives, charity rides and the suchlike that do not have a clause of mandatory helmets. Other than boycotting them, I don't know what can be done about that.

Even worse, there are some cycling training courses, which have a real significant positive effect on cycling safety, that are refusing training to children without helmets. That's madness.

snorri

Legendary Member
What bothers me is the compulsion for cycling events. There are hardly any sportives, charity rides and the suchlike that do not have a clause of mandatory helmets. Other than boycotting them, I don't know what can be done about that.
The Edinburgh cycle campaign group Spokes, is doing something, here is an extract from a recent Spokes Newsletter

Spokes will not, after this issue, publicise charity rides
or other events involving helmet compulsion
. We will also
only circulate flyers and give website links if articles, adverts,
etc are not helmet-dominated.
We call on other organisations
concerned about public health to do the same

jonesy

Guru
I hope you are right Greg, and experience from the last few years does suggest that the opportunity has passed for the compulsionists. Recent statements from transport ministers have made it very clear that compulsion is not on their agenda and I think the faction in DfT that was keen has less influence than it dd. I think we have to be thankful for the efforts of Cyclign England there, and Phillip Darnton in particular there. Also, a few years ago there was a report on cycle helmets, as part of a wider study of cycling safety, which DfT commissioned from a team led by TRL. A summary is here:

http://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/s...icsafety/roadsafety/CycleHelmetsTRLreport.pdf

This got slated by the CTC, amongst others, accusing the authors of bias ( unfairly I feel actually, knowing the lead authors personally, and valuing their integrity). But even though it did say there was some evidence of benefits under some circumstances, it didn't make the case for compulsion. See the BikeBiz interpretation:
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/no-call-for-helmet-compulsion-from-dft-sponsored-study/08572

So unless someone comes up with much stronger evidence for the benefits of helmets, and compulsion in particular, then I don't think it will be pushed by civil servants. But that doesn't stop it becoming a case for a politician with an agenda to push, so we can't take it for granted that the batttle is won.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom