Bradley Wiggins calls for safer cycling laws and compulsory helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
You seem to confuse the perception of a situation with its reality.
what is the reality then

david k

Hi
Yes, The published studies have concluded that for every week the risks of cycling (with or without helmet) shorten your life expectancy, the health benefits of cycling lengthen it by 20 weeks.
the risk of cycling shortens your life expectancy
health benefits of cycling lengthen it?
does this not contradict itself?

Wobblers

Euthermic
You are confident that people can make the right decision for themselves

but you feel the same people will make a less than obvious assumption?

It's a very obvious assumption. The endless messages from RoSPA, the BMA insisting that a helmet is required on safety grounds (despite the lack of compelling evidence in the peer reviewed literature) is not at all ambiguous.

Everyone has the right to have access to information to help them make the right decision for themselves - to wear a helmet or not, and not be brow beaten into a decision by others.

david k

Hi
You don't get it, do you? Many of these people who could be using bikes but don't because they're thinking cycling is (i) dangerous (ii)expensive (ii) involves lots of safety equipment- which may be of little or no use depending on the situation in any case, and end up in cars or on public transport instead of making journeys under their own power and being much healthier for it. And making journeys for everyone, including those who still need/choose to use motor vehicles, simpler, less time-consuming and potentially safer as well. Most definitely relevant.
yep, i get the logic, but you said this point hadnt been made, then you say it has? i pointed this out to you

so you think that a person wearing a helmet makes everyone die younger, yes or no

david k

Hi
Everyone has the right to have access to information to help them make the right decision for themselves - to wear a helmet or not, and not be brow beaten into a decision by others.

i like this post, well said.

we shouldnt be brow beaten into not wearing a helmet because it makes everyone die younger

david k

Hi
The reality is that the more people who ride bikes, walk, use public transport, and the fewer in cars the better.
The perception among many in our society is that the car remains a better option.
i agree, so you believe that a person who wears a helmet cannot agree with this point. if they wear a helmet they are ignorant and put everyone at risk?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
yep, i get the logic, but you said this point hadnt been made, then you say it has? i pointed this out to you

so you think that a person wearing a helmet makes everyone die younger, yes or no
Nope, I made the point again as it seemed to have gone in one ear and out the other, metaphorically.

'Wearing a helmet makes everyone die younger'? What utter nonsense.

StuAff

i agree, so you believe that a person who wears a helmet cannot agree with this point. if they wear a helmet they are ignorant and put everyone at risk?

Which part of 'I choose to wear a helmet' did you not understand? I do wear a helmet, and I most emphatically do not agree with this preposterous claim.

david k

Hi
Nope, I made the point again as it seemed to have gone in one ear and out the other, metaphorically.

'Wearing a helmet makes everyone die younger'? What utter nonsense.

But why is it nonsense? You expect me to accept the logic to support not wearing a helmet but refuse to accept the notion that therefore not wearing one means more obesity and our life expectancy drops and hence the statement.

It either does or it doesnt, which is it?

StuAff

But why is it nonsense? You expect me to accept the logic to support not wearing a helmet but refuse to accept the notion that therefore not wearing one means more obesity and our life expectancy drops and hence the statement.

It either does or it doesnt, which is it?
Neither. Again, perception and reality........

david k

Hi
Which part of 'I choose to wear a helmet' did you not understand? I do wear a helmet, and I most emphatically do not agree with this preposterous claim.
this is exactly what has been said.

people should be allowed to make their own decision without having to study endless data. but many on here have said they are ignorant and contribute to the perception it is dangerous and therefore people chose not to cycle which contributes to obesity and therefore life expectency.

So, we are either free to chose or we are not. You cannot say every helmet wearer is contributing to obesity and therefore making a larger difference to health and then say wear one if you want, there are some mixed up views.

If i have misunderstood i will apologies, but you and others have made very conflicting views and contradict yourselfs when you support the logic then wear a helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom