Bradley Wiggins calls for safer cycling laws and compulsory helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
so what is your answer?

made this point numerous times now yet you keep questioning it? it really is odd how you fail/refuse to understand?

again using quotes from old threads made over a year ago.

however it is proof of opinion

It is proof of a wrong, mistaken and dangerous opinion

It is proof of poor and dangerous advice because due to a lack of knowledge you knew no better.

Lets make the answer so simple for you......

If you have an opinion and make a bad decision for yourself then no-one else is harmed

If you start giving that poor advice and opinion to someone else, encouraging them to compromise their own safety (as in this case) then that is unacceptable.

Les try this.

My opinion is that removing the front brake saves weight

The evidence if you read into the subject is that this is illegal and unsafe, neither of which you can know unless you look into the evidence.

I am entitled to have that opinion.... and to remove my own front brake

Am I entitled to come on here and advise that other people remove their front brakes?

[QUOTE 1985081, member: 45"]Do we have too many sticks?[/quote]
There are not always too many sticks.

It would appear that in the Afan Valley they are quite rare....

Note how the girl on the left is obviously pleased with the stick she has found,and is keenly showing her rare and valuable find to her friend

2341076166.jpg

benb

Evidence based cyclist
once again i understand the logic but why does this mean i cannot wear a helmet? as this is the point im making i presume you are responding to this? not sure why you refer to compulsion in a reply to me on this thread as i havnt discussed it.

my issues is with being told i shouldnt wear a helmet because people will get fat. if thats not the point you and others are making why does everyone feel the need to make the point over and again, i havnt said i dont agree with the logic just that it doesnt affect my choice to wear one as i have my own opinions and should be allowed them.

No-one is saying you can't wear a helmet.

I've always considered that if compulsion came to pass, that people would eventually just suck it up - just as motorcyclists have done - helmet wearing has certainly saved a lot of lives in this group of road users, and this is at the core of my belief on this subject.
The Australian population aged nine years and over grew by 58.4% between 1986 and 2010 and the daily average number of bicycle trips grew by "only 20.9%, representing a per capita decline in cycling. The proportion of Australian workers who used a bicycle to ride to work was largely unchanged at about 1% of journeys. A historical prioritization of the motor vehicle, lack of investment in cycling infrastructure and mandatory helmet legislation are likely to be explanatory factors."
World Transport Policy and Practice Volume 18.3 May 2012​

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
why do you feel the need to make it personal?
I'm not. Though, for the umpteenth time, you seem to have taken a comment on here as personal.

Thats good why do you and others feel the need to brow beat me? why do you not allow me my choice without calling me ignorant or claim that i contribute to the lowering of the average age of death as i contribute to obesity?
If you insist on drawing conclusions from statements that are neither explicit nor inferred, then you must expect people to point this out. You have done so repeatedly. Nowhere did I call you ignorant. And your diet and lifestyle haven't been mentioned here, AFAIK. Unless you actually do eat helmets.

I didnt even say anything about this, certainly never said they are always of benefit, not sure why your even raising it?
It has, at times, felt necessary to state what seems obvious to most people. And if you accept that they are not always of benefit, respecting people's reasons for wearing them, or not, should logically follow.

and i agree with your logic, i just think it affect my choice of whether to wear one or not
And that is the perception many on here feel should be challenged.

never said you did
Well, you've already stated that perceived danger encourages you to wear a helmet. Following logically from that, hi-viz (and segregated lanes, and body armour...) are also encouraged by that perception.

you appear to have made many assumptions as to my views. I have not said anywhere on this thread anything about what you or others should do.
Well, if you don't make yourself clear and insist on drawing false conclusions based on incorrect assumptions, that's a problem you make for yourself. You keep telling us that you're being told to not wear a helmet. You're not. You keep telling us that you've been told it's necessary to 'read all the evidence and data' before wearing a helmet. It clearly isn't, and you clearly haven't.

we already have major issues with obesity, i do not accept that it because some people wear helmets

ObeseChildGraph.gif

safety%20in%20numbers.jpg

The more people wear helmets the fewer that cycle, the fewer that cycle the greater the national obesity level. It doesn't affect your freedom to exercise personal choice about wearing a helmet but your choice does have an effect on cycling levels and therefore obesity. Which is why it is preferable that people's choices are informed choices but they are entitled to make uninformed choices if that is their choice.

Norm

What was that noise? Was it the sound of a key being put into a lock? ;)

Glow worm

Legendary Member
There are not always too many sticks.

It would appear that in the Afan Valley they are quite rare....

Note how the girl on the left is obviously pleased with the stick she has found,and is keenly showing her rare and valuable find to her friend

2341076166.jpg

So we have Rob Brydon and Colonel Sanders - who's the other fella?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Apparently it is indeed Rob Brydon, along with Richard Burton and Dick Wagstaff (who'd worked at the park for over 35 years when this went up).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom