Brake advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tomsk

Hello. I'm new. ;)

I've been cycling into work since Christmas, when a new baby meant that the wife pinched the car.

I'm getting into it now and would like to start learning about doing my bike up and changing a few bits on it.

I want to start with the brakes. The bike has v brakes, which are just plain and have no name on, so I'm guessing they're cheap.

Would I get much advantage with upgrading them? A friend has suggested Avid Single Digit 5s, and I've found these online at Chain Reaction Cycles for £15. Are these any good? Are they easy to fit, and would the change be worth it?

My friend said that Avid are good because they are the same company as Sram. Is he right, and is this company good?

Thanks for any responses I might get.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Avid do make good brakes and yes, they are part of SRAM which is really pulling out all the stops to become No 3 in the bike component league. They're doing this mainly by buying up other component manufacturing companies who's products compliment SRAMS own range.

(Point of Information: Never ask on a bike forum who is considered No 1 and No 2, because half the answers you get will be wrong.)

Avid Single Digit 5s are pretty good after market V brakes, but yours would have to be spectacularly bad for you to see any real world improvements in your braking.

I would think about a brake pad upgrade first. KoolStop make a range of pads which fit 'replaceable' cartridge holders. You first purchase would be a set of holders and pads, but there after you only need the replacement pads. Many people find their Salmon pad to be a good all round stopper.

Also check you brake cables. Often a new set of inners and outers can resurrect the 'feel' of a set of brakes.

What bike do you have Tomsk? If you have an inexpensive bike fitted with plastic coated steel brakes and/or levers a brake upgrade will make a world of difference. You cant go wrong with Avid parts. They're proper.

bonj2

Tim Bennet. said:
Avid do make good brakes and yes, they are part of SRAM which is really pulling out all the stops to become No 3 in the bike component league. They're doing this mainly by buying up other component manufacturing companies who's products compliment SRAMS own range.

(Point of Information: Never ask on a bike forum who is considered No 1 and No 2, because half the answers you get will be wrong.)

er... when you say 'number 1', 'number 2', 'number 3', do you mean in terms of market share... or how good they are?

Top Bottom