Brake block too high on rim, and no adjustment left in slot.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On the off side (rear) the brake block sits at a point whereby it appears to be just touching the tyre when the brake lever is pulled. When I was oiling the bike up in readiness for when I try it, I observed that both rear blocks had been set 50/50 on rim & tyre!.

I have managed to lower the near side one to be clear of the tyre when the brake is applied. But, although I have lowered the off side block to the bottom of the slot it still appears to be just touching the tyre when the brake is applied, and there is no more adjustment left. What are my options for sorting the issue?

These photos are of the before and after adjustments of the off side block

Attachments

• Photo0906.jpg
    Photo0906.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 61
  • Photo0908.jpg
    Photo0908.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 61

Ajay

Veteran
Is the wheel fully in the dropouts?
Is the frame designed to take mudguards ie does it need long drop calipers?
Take it back to the shop, unsafe to ride like that.

Hi Ajay.
I don`t know if the rear wheel is fully inserted-I better check that.. It was fitted when I took the bike out of the box, but I shall see if I can tell if is in correctly. I fitted the front wheel in myself, and there are no problems with the front brakes. I don`t know enough about bikes to answer your question about long drop calipers etc. Can you advise me please how to check that?
The shop is in Germany :sad:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I have before now filed the slots on caliper brakes to lower the shoes. In fact I've been running a filed Campag set on one bike for over ten years without any problem. However: at your own risk, etc.

Ajay

Veteran
Hi Ajay.
I don`t know if the rear wheel is fully inserted-I better check that.. It was fitted when I took the bike out of the box, but I shall see if I can tell if is in correctly. I fitted the front wheel in myself, and there are no problems with the front brakes. I don`t know enough about bikes to answer your question about long drop calipers etc. Can you advise me please how to check that?
The shop is in Germany :sad:
With the bike on the ground undo the quick release and pull the wheel up into the dropouts fully then retighten.
If you're unsure take the bike to your lbs a get them to set it up properly.

Sorted-rear wheel was not fully inserted. I do recall checking just how much tension was on that rear quick release lever so that I could adjust the lever on the front wheel by the same amount of tension. It could be down to me, I cannot understand how the wheel could have come out a bit when the bike was upside down, but who knows. Thank you for your help,big relief.:hugs:

Top Bottom