Brake blocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I'm not up to date with all things hybrid as I've ridden MTB's for years!

What I want to know is: I have alloy V brakes on my Dawes hybrid.
Will any V brake blocks fit it and what are the best blocks?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Not an expert on different fitments, but I suspect that as long as the description of the blocks says V-brakes, you will be fine. Some come as a complete shoe (metal bit into which the rubber bit slides) + pad, others just the pad.
My brand of choice is KoolStop, and the dual compound blocks in particular (orange and black). Available from both ChainReaction and Wiggle. Not the cheapest, but you did ask what was best!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If they have the shaped washers on threaded posts, then any current V brake pads should fit, as far as I've seen. I've been impressed with Lifeline and Alhonga, but unimpressed by Aztec.

DEFENDER01

Über Member
I was told recently when i changed my brake blocks they need to be the right rubber blocks for alloy wheels.
I guess they are made differently so not to wear the wheel rims.:okay:

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Not an expert on different fitments, but I suspect that as long as the description of the blocks says V-brakes, you will be fine. Some come as a complete shoe (metal bit into which the rubber bit slides) + pad, others just the pad.
My brand of choice is KoolStop, and the dual compound blocks in particular (orange and black). Available from both ChainReaction and Wiggle. Not the cheapest, but you did ask what was best!
It looks like they are an all-in-one type.
I am on the hunt!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I was told recently when i changed my brake blocks they need to be the right rubber blocks for alloy wheels.
I guess they are made differently so not to wear the wheel rims.:okay:
Errr, really? They all seem to wear the rims eventually - not directly, but they pick up junk off the rims and then that gouges the rims and then the gouged metal itself gouges the rims more... a reason to scrub your pads clean occasionally! Different compounds pick up more/less of different types of junk.

The more important thing is to use steel-compatible pads if you have steel rims... some alloy-only pads will make a lovely swishing noise in the wet and do very little to slow steel rims down... I know this from experience! :laugh: I suspect ceramic rims need care in pad selection too but I don't have any.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
It looks like they are an all-in-one type.
I am on the hunt!
If they're a threaded post, you should be able to use the cartridge/holder type too. I find those a bit more convenient than the all in one type. Brandwise, I like Fibrax (X-Treme for preference, but the regular ones aren't bad).

DEFENDER01

Über Member
Errr, really? They all seem to wear the rims eventually - not directly, but they pick up junk off the rims and then that gouges the rims and then the gouged metal itself gouges the rims more... a reason to scrub your pads clean occasionally! Different compounds pick up more/less of different types of junk.

The more important thing is to use steel-compatible pads if you have steel rims... some alloy-only pads will make a lovely swishing noise in the wet and do very little to slow steel rims down... I know this from experience! :laugh: I suspect ceramic rims need care in pad selection too but I don't have any.
Or just get disc brakes that solves the problem of wheel wear.:okay:
F.Y.I. everything wears eventually thats life. :tongue:

DEFENDER01

Über Member
Yeah, it just replaces it with disc wear and them getting bent when knocked and so on. I've gone directly to a hub brake...
There is just no pleasing some people how the hell did you bend a brake disc.:scratch:
Perhaps a tank would do the job for you. :whistle:

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Right...I don't want to buy the wrong thing as I'm going to buy these online.
So here's my brakes...
'Alloy V brakes' is what the spec for my Dawes says. Is this a calliper brake?
And are the blocks replaceable or all-in-one type?

Sorry for my stupid questions but I know nothing about hybrid bikes (except that they seem to be simpler to work on that my MTB!)

20150614_091004.png

20150614_091015.png

Gez73

Veteran
They are the same as on my Hybrid. The blocks will come with the washers and nut and the metal arm attached to the rubber block. You can remove the old ones by releasing the 'noodle' when the two calipers are pressed to the rim. This provides enough slack to push the cable out of the hinged arm to the left of the rubber cable cover on your photo. The calipers will then spring outwards from the wheel. This allows you to remove the blocks. Check youtube if unsure. Worth keeping the old nuts and washers from old pads too. They make useful spacers for stuff. Hope this helps. Gez

Top Bottom