Brake blocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickg

Über Member
Hi, recently had a new set of brake blocks fitted to my road bike. What's the best was to bed these in as the rear brake is pretty much non existent?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Do you mean brake pads, for disc brakes?

In my experience, brake blocks for rim brakes work straight from the start with no bedding in.

The only issue with rim brake blocks is the mould release agent on the surface. A few dabs of the brake will remove this and you are good to stop.

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
Did you only change the rear set? Maybe the pads are a nasty compound that just doesn't have much bite? What make are the new pads?

They had been replaced just before I bought the bike. The front ones are becoming better after use but the rears just dont seem to be getting any better. I've just had a look and can not see a brand written on them. But they look like the attached picture.

Attachments

• 20200505_102510.jpg
    20200505_102510.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 23

Sharky

Guru
You say "had them fitted" - does that imply you didn't fit them yourself? Of all the DIY jobs on a bike, this should be top of the list. Brake blocks need to be checked frequently, almost every ride, to make sure the blocks are in line with the rim and the face of the brake block is fully on the braking area of the rim.

Check the above and that the caliper freely moves and is central.

In spite of all this, the rear brake in comparison to the front brake is much less effective in stopping you, so perhaps you are expecting too much. If you can lock the rear wheel by just pushing the bike, walking alongside it, with just the friction of the tyre against the road surface, then it is probably OK. If the friction from the road is greater then the brake blocks and the wheel continues to turn, then there is something wrong.

Hope this helps - happy cycling

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Rears won't stop particularly well. Clean the rims thoroughly

Drago

Legendary Member
I've never had new brake blocks cause a problem, but if they're working well prior to wearing out I always replace with identical blacks and decrease them with brake cleaner prior to fitting. I also clean the rim, dress with 1500 grit, and clean again.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Did you pay to have them fitted by a shop or bike mechanic? If so, take it back and exercise your consumer rights...

Sharky

Guru
I've never had new brake blocks cause a problem, but if they're working well prior to wearing out I always replace with identical blacks and decrease them with brake cleaner prior to fitting. I also clean the rim, dress with 1500 grit, and clean again.
A couple of good autocorrect words in there - could confuse a newbie.

Top Bottom