Brake blocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In spite of all this, the rear brake in comparison to the front brake is much less effective in stopping you, so perhaps you are expecting too much. If you can lock the rear wheel by just pushing the bike, walking alongside it, with just the friction of the tyre against the road surface, then it is probably OK. If the friction from the road is greater then the brake blocks and the wheel continues to turn, then there is something wrong.
+1 :okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
A couple of good autocorrect words in there - could confuse a newbie.
I must stress that I use brake blocks, and do not habitually use west Indian slaves as a means of stopping my bicycle.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've found the standard Clarkes pads absolutely fine - I've used them on all 3 of my road bikes, including the commuter.
Interesting. I fitted a set, then took them straight off again. Not so much a lack of stopping power as the nasty sound of rims wearing away (same reason I won't use Shimano).

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Whatever the issue with your brakes, it's very unlikely a change of pads will make a radical difference.

Either they're as good as they're going to get or (more likely) there is something else awry with the setup.

Park tools video from @MichaelW2 above is a very good place to start.

Reactions: C R

si_c

Guru
Before changing the pads try this, lock the brake full on - and then stamp on the pedals to try to turn the wheel, if it turns then the pads are crap, if it doesn't or it's really hard to get it to turn then the brakes are fine.

It's also worth properly cleaning both the pads and the rim - if you have any grease or oil on the rims then the pads won't bite properly.

If you do decide to change the pads then shimano pads are generally excellent as are third party pads by the likes of Koolstop and Swissstop although the latter do tend to be more expensive.

Top Bottom