Brake bridge Re-braze

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bob jackson uses Silver solder...as does Graem Obree if im not mistaken....much less heat needed.

never seems to be enough time for all the learning

Yes, some steel, for instance Columbus Neuron, can't be heated to red-hot without losing strength. Silver solder works at a far lower temperature and doesn't affect the temper of the steel. It also offers novices a huge margin of error. I built my steel bike in my garage and used silver solder simply because I didn't have enough experience to not overcook the tubes.
There has to be a reason why silver solder is not used by default but I'm afraid my welding knowledge doesn't extend that far.
IIRC @Afnug is experienced in this sort of thing. I would like to know why. I think the OP also has to know whether his tubing can be heated a second time.

OP
OP
sneaky beaky

sneaky beaky

Hats off to you Sir building your own frame :notworthy:

I would guess silver solder is too expensive to use for mass production ?

The old zanussi is lookin a bit tired....got a couple of weeks off over christmas.....

the mind travels far

cheers

Venod

Eh up
I wouldn't attempt this without a bit of practice and access to the right equipment, Oxy/Propane is probabley best for home use, Oxy/Accetylene would be OK but is more awkward for home use (safety concerns / rental of cylinders) you would also need flux and the correct brazing rod, and as @Yellow Saddle has pointed a longer brake bridge would be required, a clean and good mated joint is the key to success.

I think siver solder was used for 753 frames as the temperatue control was more critical, the cost of silver solder is probably why it is not used when cheaper brazing rods will suffice.

I can't see why tubing can't be re braized, frame builder/repairers do it all the time.

There is a lot of good information on line. http://www.lucasmilhaupt.com/en-US/brazingfundamentals/properbrazingprocedure/

I'd take it to a frame builder.

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
It's quite satisfying gas brazing and welding but you need a decent torch.

Of someone would do the job for £30/40 with the right equipment then I'd go down that route.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
It all kind of depends. My nearest frame builder is in Chicago and his neighborhood is not welcoming. So I'm talking to a radiator shop instead, as they braze a good deal. I think chromed parts are silver soldered, but painted ones are fitted using bronze. I could be wrong here, but that's what I was told. It may have been specific to Olmos.

Top Bottom