Brake bridge Re-braze

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sneaky beaky

Hi,
I'm wondering about how realistic or DIY possible it would be to lower the brake bridge on my old 531 in order to take the short arm rear caliper ??

Anyone tackled this themselves and feel confident inthe braze strength ?

Thing is, at over 30 years old I'm sure by now some of these old brazes are getting a bit creaky...maybe not ?

thanks for any input

Sharky

Guru
Google came up with
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=r...=Oc5RWLDGJ4r0gAbDi6i4Cw#imgrc=sy-mR8D484cnFM:

Brake drop bolts?
Might be the answer if you can buy one?
Good luck

OP
OP
sneaky beaky

sneaky beaky

20160608_204906.jpg
an old Raleigh...

I'm no metal worker but I think you'd need a fairly hefty set of skills to do it yourself, even without the costs of a frame builder factored in it would n't be economically viable. If you're after putting 700c wheels on it then longer drop brakes would be an option

Take it to a framebuilder. If you are going to drop the bridge lower, it will have to be longer. Do you have a suitable piece of CroMo hanging around? My guess is not.

As for brazing surviving long-term use. No problem. It is almost never the brazing that gives way but always the steel.

A drop bolt will be OK on the rear.

Is the alleged advantage of short drop brakes worth the effort? Long drop brakes,and compatible frames are valued for their capacity for wider tyres and mudguard clearance for Audax, commuting and winter training. Would it be more cost effective to sell or swap with the owner of a similar grade race frame

OP
OP
sneaky beaky

sneaky beaky

Thanks to all, thinking time ahead.

Got modern bikes for everday riding,training etc... but love this old bike, and often get faster times on it...very odd.

Currently a tektro (cheers Fab :smile: sits at the rear, whilst all other fittings are shimano tri colour, so I guess its down to looks...

The bolts would no doubt work but not sure they look right..

If it cost me £30ish for the job, I'd be happy enough with that, I'll be keeping the bike and nothing else needs attention..

fixedfixer

Veteran
Sounds like you are keen to try out the fabrication work. As you know 531 is thin wall stuff, needs care. I'd advise you don't get stuck into your current frame as a starter project. Advertise on here for an accident damaged, 531 frame that's well beyond economically fixing up. Use that to learn and try out your brazing skills. There are some good videos online. I've built a recumbent using two damaged standard tube bikes and a Gas Cooled Mig welder. There are free plans online called Recycled Recumbent.
Should provide a bit of fun prior to attempting your nice 531 frame. PS bonus to have spray facilities - took me six coats with a brush and lots of fine papers to get a good finish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sneaky beaky

sneaky beaky

Sounds like you are keen to try out the fabrication work. As you know 531 is thin wall stuff, needs care. I'd advise you don't get stuck into your current frame as a starter project. Advertise on here for an accident damaged, 531 frame that's well beyond economically fixing up. Use that to learn and try out your brazing skills. There are some good videos online. I've built a recumbent using two damaged standard tube bikes and a Gas Cooled Mig welder. There are free plans online called Recycled Recumbent.
Should provide a bit of fun prior to attempting your nice 531 frame. PS bonus to have spray facilities - took me six coats with a brush and lots of fine papers to get a good finish.

Yes, I'm keen to learn, good advice about trying out an old damaged 531. Have to say, makng a new complete bike is starting to take root upstairs...

The paint I'll use on this has a subtle metalic, so not good for brushing this time...

cheers for your thoughts

Top Bottom