Brake cable/bar query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigfella

Über Member
Hello,

Might be a bit trivial.

Some of you may have seen I recently completed the build of my Bob Jackson. I taped the bars and all seems well apart from the rear brake cable pushing against the head tube quite hard - you can see in the photo.

Question is, is there anyway to stop this, does the cable seem the correct length (its just enough to turn the bars full each way), should I have made the cable exit the bar tape earlier; further away from the stem if that makes sense?

Thanks,

Matt

weevil

Could it be looped around the right-hand side of the head tube?

Personally I exit a bit further away from the stem and allow a bit more cable - it still rubs the head tube but not as hard and it makes the brake lever smoother to operate as you don't get any harsh angles in the cabling.

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
I might unwrap the tape slightly in that case. Ideally I would run it on the other side, but the cable stops are on the left :sad:.

weevil

It's hard to judge from a head-on view, but the run for the cable outer looks a little short/tight. Would a slightly longer outer allow it to form a more "relaxed" loop and reduce the pressure at the point where it inevitably rubs?

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
I'll get a photo tomorrow. I can always get a new cable, can the tape be unwrapped or does it have to be replaced?

bigfella said:
I'll get a photo tomorrow. I can always get a new cable, can the tape be unwrapped or does it have to be replaced?

Just unwind it,cut a bit off, rewind and then secure the end with a bit of black tape instead of those ties you have on at the moment.

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
porkypete said:
Was it adhesive backed tape? Did you put in on starting at bar ends?

Yes it was adhesive, I did indeed start from the bar end.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Its your bike, but i wouldn't tape that near to the stem. You could lose 2"s without losing anything, and that would give you cleaner cable routing.

Do you grip that close to the stem that you need the tape there?

Top Bottom