Brake cable cutting through carbon fork!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Veteran
Just cleaning bike for tomorrow when I couldn't shift a particularly stubborn mark. To my horror when I lifted the brake cable to get at it I realized that the dark mark was the shadow of a shallow cut which has been made by brake cable rub!!! Safety aspects aside, I have had this bike (boardman cx) for less than two years. Will this damage be covered under warranty? Got a vague "frame and forks" warranty image in my head.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Can you post a pic?

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Veteran
Just discoverd it's on both sides. Think it's the gear cables, rather than the brake cables, for what its worth.

Attachments

• IMG_20170127_195717.jpg
    IMG_20170127_195717.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 120
OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Veteran
Nope. My old crappy spesh that I got second hand had them but got this brand new from halfords - ridden for less than a year - and could fall apart anyday now. Relatively new to biking so assumed their absence had been dealt with by someone at Boardman deciding they weren't necessary due to its great design. Clearly not. Surely not my responsibility though?

dodgy

The first thing I do with a new bike is apply protective adhesive patches, you're not to know as a relative newcomer that that should be required, though. Amazing the amount of damage that can be caused by brake and gear cables.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Nope. My old crappy spesh that I got second hand had them but got this brand new from halfords - ridden for less than a year - and could fall apart anyday now. Relatively new to biking so assumed their absence had been dealt with by someone at Boardman deciding they weren't necessary due to its great design. Clearly not. Surely not my responsibility though?
This is one of my pet hates, as I have posted here many times before. It is a design fault and if it were mine I would take it back and demand a replacement. If Halfords didn't want to know I would take the matter further. There is no way that the normal operation of any component should cause serious (Or indeed any) damage to the structure of the bike.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Veteran
This is one of my pet hates, as I have posted here many times before. It is a design fault and if it were mine I would take it back and demand a replacement. If Halfords didn't want to know I would take the matter further. There is no way that the normal operation of any component should cause serious (Or indeed any) damage to the structure of the bike.
Wish I'd have read one of those posts before, really felt pretty sick when I saw it, then on both sides!!! Feel like a bit of an idiot now. Such a preventable problem.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Wish I'd have read one of those posts before, really felt pretty sick when I saw it, then on both sides!!! Feel like a bit of an idiot now. Such a preventable problem.
You are not an idiot at all because we were all caught like that when integrated shifters first appeared. In most cases it was just paint damage but even that is bloody annoying as it is something that could be stopped if the manufacturers fitted a couple of 50p cable guides - something the anus crawling "Testers" on the cycle press consistently fail to highlight in their rush to repeat the makers bollox about how much stiffer this years model is. Imagine a car where the paint came off a wing because the door rubbed on it during opening and closing - it would be laughed out of production.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Veteran
Just had a thought. I collected the bike in the box and "set it up" at home. "Setting up" involved putting the handlebars on and a wheel. They can't use that as a get out clause can they?

Totally agree with @Smokin Joe

I have the same bike and only realised about the issue after a year of riding thanks to a post on here. I think/hope I've caught mine at the superficial damage phase so have stuck some protective pads on the forks and wrapped a bit of electrical tape round the cable outers. Not sure if you could still get away with doing the same?

Top Bottom